Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Moving Ahead with Gratitude

O. T. #597  "Moving Ahead with Gratitude"
September 16, 2015
1 Samuel 12-Part 2
Above all, fear the LORD and worship Him faithfully with all your heart; consider all the great things He has done for you.  1 Samuel 12:24 Life Application Study Bible

LET IT GLOW

How often I we consider all the great things God has done for me? Not often enough. I try to be thankful for basic things He has given to me, and the little things also. Breath of life, salvation, family, cereal, bowl and spoon, milk...  So many things. I start out the day thankful, but it seems to dwindle away as I go through the day. Yes, all day long we encounter people and things that God has given us. Are we moving ahead with gratitude today instead of dwelling on what is lacking?

Looking at the entire chapter:
  •  Samuel begins with a review of his office as judge, accomplishments, faith, and anointing the first king of Israel, with Samuel's retirement coming.
  • Then there is a review of Israel's history.
  • Generation after generation Israel is involved in the sin cycle-God's judgment of their sins, crying out for forgiveness, and forgiveness by God (salvation).
  • A miracle of thunder and rain is experienced by all during the wheat harvest season, which was rare.
  • Samuel reminds Israel to fear the LORD, serve Him, obey His voice, and not rebel. In addition, the king that ruled over them was to continue following the LORD God. (verse 14) 
  • The people asked Samuel to pray for God to stop the rain, lest they die. (destroyed crop meant no food)
  • Fear not, ...they serve the Lord with all their heart.
  • The LORD will not forsake His people for His great name's sake: because it hath pleased the LORD to make you His people. (verse 22)
Do we stand on God's promises? Your are His loved child, so serve Him with all your heart, dear ones.

LET IT GROW

In verse 23, Samuel says God forbid that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you: but I will teach the good and the right way.

Have you ever considered it a sin when we do not pray for people? I haven't looked at it that way before.

Life Application Study Bible tells us about our responsibilities:
  1. We should pray consistently for others (Eph. 6:18).
  2. Teach others the right way to God (2 Tim. 2:2).
Although Samuel disagreed with the Israelites' demand for a king, he assured them that he would continue to pray for them and teach them.
We may disagree with others, but we should not stop praying for them.

Do we take time to consider what the Lord has done for us? Focusing our attention on God's goodness strengthens our faith. Are we moving ahead with gratitude? It's all because of Jesus I am alive, as the song goes.

LET IT GO

Let go of my pride in thinking I have provided all that I possess.

Repent of my ungratefulness.

Thank you God for all my faithful and new friends who come to read your Word with me. Show us the direction for us to go today so we can do Your will, Your way. Bless all who read this blog today with encouragement and love, instructions in Your Truth, meeting their needs, Father. Help our focus be on meeting needs of others as You have done for us. To You be the glory! In Jesus name I pray. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment