Thursday, September 17, 2015

Facing It

O. T. #598 "Facing It"
September 17, 2015
1 Samuel 13
When the men of Israel saw that their situation was critical and that their army was hard pressed, they...  1 Samuel 13:6

LET IT GLOW

What do I do when the enemy comes in the form of someone griping me out? Do I retaliate, defend myself, or do I choose my words carefully so they honor God? Yes, yes, yes. Sometimes I go off and have myself a good cry, whether I deserved it or not. Then I evaluate the situation and the cause, and my part, of course. I ask the Lord what to do. Well, I have apologized, done nothing, listened, and even had a battle plan. I realize I must forgive the person and love them in spite of them. That is Jesus' way. It is not easy, but it is the best way. What did Saul do when he was faced the enemy with a huge army? What is our reaction when we face "it?" Read on.

Saul was 30 years old when he became king and he reigned 42 years over Israel. (Life Application Study Bible)

Acts 13:21 states that Saul reigned 40 years.

Saul organized and commanded the Israeli army of 3,000 men. Then Jonathan, Saul's first-born son, was evidently old enough to command an army of 1,000 in the area of Benjamin. Jonathan and his army killed the Philistines in that Gibeah. This was the first battle of war declared in that region. So other men joined Saul's army at Gilgal. Saul took credit for this victory, of which he had nothing to do with the outcome.
Do we take credit for what others have done? Give credit where credit is due. Could we appreciate the work of others more? Do we thank them for a job well done? It isn't too costly to give them thanks.


LET IT GROW

Israel became a stench to the Philistines. In other words, that wipe out stunk to their enemy.

Hang on. Don't have a victory party yet, Israel. The Philistines prepared to retaliate with:
  • 30,000 chariots,
  • 6,000 horsemen,
  • soldiers as numerous as the sand on the seashore.
When Saul and his army saw them, they realized their situation was hard pressed to stand against such an equipped army. Look what they did. They hightailed it out of there, hiding in caves, thickets, among the rocks, and in pits and cisterns. They were shaking in their boots, so to speak. Some even crossed the Jordan River to the land of Gad and Gilead.

Wait a minute. These are the same men who gloated when Jonathan's army defeated the Philistines at Gibeah. What happened? Has God changed? Has their  God lost His power? I think not! Come on guys, seek God's blessings. He brought down the wall of Jericho, stopped the Red Sea and the Jordan River, and even paused the sun for an extended daylight so the earlier Israelites could have victory over their enemies or an escape. Get your self on your knees and pray, then watch God work.

Hmmm. Sounds like advice I need to heed. When discouragement comes, things pile up against us, we feel defeated, what do we do? Do we hide? Or do we hit our knees seeking the Lord's will and wisdom? God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Put on the armor of God and go to spiritual battle today, friends. We are cheering you on. So is your Creator.

LET IT GO

Let go of my pride and own strength.

Seek the Lord, trust Him for the victory, then give Him the glory when it comes.

Put on the armor of God-His salvation, righteousness, truth, peace, Word, faith.

Encourage others who are in a spiritual battle and pray for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment