July 10, 2015
Summary of Judges
In those days there was no king in Israel, but every man did that which was right in his own eyes. Judges 17:6
LET IT GLOW
It took 6 months to go through this book. Whew! We kept pressing on as Israel kept spinning in the sin cycle. They would:
- repeatedly compromise with her enemies, tolerate and coexist with them. This was followed by incomplete settlement of the conquered territories.
- Without clearly defined leadership, everyone did that which was right in his own eyes (17:6). Israel forsook the Law and committed spiritual apostasy. (The people had sinned against their covenant with God by disobeying the command to totally drive out the Canaanites (Ex. 23, Deut. 33).
- Israel intermarried with the people of the land (Deut 7:1-5) and adopted pagan worship of Baal and Ashtaroth (2:13).
- Committed numerous violations of the Mosaic Law, including improper priests and private worship sanctuaries.
- Their moral code was so low that lying, stealing, adultery, and murder were often condoned.
- So God would send oppression, resulting in repentance and deliverance. (6 periods and 12 deliverers)
- With the downward spiral into sin, God's mercy delivered His people over and over again.
Left untreated, sin grows and soon poisons the whole body. God had helped the Israelites conquer Canaan, which had been inhabited by a host of wicked nations. But they were in danger of losing this Promised Land because they compromised their convictions and disobeyed God. (Life Application Study Bible)
Ultimately, the failure of God's people to honor His commands resulted in their removal from the land for 70 years (Lev. 26:32-35). (D.Jeremiah)
LET IT GROW
There were over 410 years of judgeships.
Life Application Study Bible tells us:
- God used leaders, who, at times, did His will and, at times, followed their own sinful impulses (Gideon, Eli, Jephthah, Samson);
- Jephthah's vow and offering of his daughter (11:30-40);
- Israel's first civil war is recorded here.
- Decline, decay, and defeat caused the people to cry out to God for help.
- We can expect decay when we value anything more highly than God.
- Rebellion against God leads to disaster. God may use defeat to bring wandering hearts back to Him.
- We must identify modern idols in our hearts, renounce them, and turn to God for His love and mercy.
- God's Holy Spirit is available to all people. Anyone who is dedicated to God can be used for His service. Real heroes recognize the futility of human effort without God's guidance and power.
So, be an overcomer, and follow Jesus.
If godless judges respond to constant pressure, how much more will a great and loving God respond to us? If we know He loves us, we can believer He will hear our cries for help. An example of this is found in Luke 18:1-6 where the widow keeps pestering the judge for her justice.
LET IT GO
Stay faithful, for God is faithful.
Stop the cycle of sin in my own life.