Friday, July 17, 2015

Mother In Laws

O. T. #559  "Mother In Laws"
July 17, 2015
Ruth 1-Part 4

And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God; Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.  Ruth 1:16-17

LET IT GLOW

I was blessed with a wonderful mother in law. She was not the meddlin' kind, as portrayed on television. When we asked for advice, that was the only time we received it (from either set of parents). In our early marriage when we would have a fight, she always took my side against her son. I always felt accepted as a part of her family, especially loved by her. I witnessed her faith in God, even as she trusted His wisdom and went through the cancer which took her life. She demonstrated the sacrificial love of a mother that Naomi did to her daughter in laws. I want to be like these two mother in laws.

Here they are, three women whose husband each died. Maybe a disease caused it, we aren't told the cause of their deaths. Anyway, they are forced to fend for themselves to survive. They lived in a culture where women did not work. Naomi was destitute of land and possessions, without any relatives to care for her, and longed for her homeland. Leaving her men folk buried in Moab, no doubt she struggled with regret and grief. Willing to travel alone, Naomi decides to go back home, where her loving people and provisions would be.

Now let's take a look at a heart-wrenching scene. These three women are at the cross roads of their life. Naomi, the mother in law of the other two women, Orpah and Ruth, convinced Orpah to return home. Three times Naomi would entreat (negotiate) with the young women who has become like her own daughters, loving them very much. It must have been hard to see Orpah go after several years of being family. Naomi selflessly made her proposition to the gals, thinking of their welfare.

What kind of mother in law am I/are you? Do we love our daughter in law or son in law like our very own? Have we accepted them as part of our family? I have seen situations where many do not and it causes a rift in the family.
 I am so blessed with wonderful ones. Couldn't have done better if I had picked them out myself as spouses for my children.
Don't overlook the love, strength, and resources that God provides in our relationships. Don't allow bitterness and disappointment to blind us to our opportunities.

LET IT GROW

Now comes Ruth's Hallmark expression of love and loyalty to the family she married into and bonded with, found in verses 16-17. Which path in her crossroad did Ruth decide to take, back home or onward to Bethlehem with her aged mother in law?
  • Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. (Was Naomi testing her faithfulness and faith in God?) In other words, do not insist that I return.
  • Where you go, I will go.
  • Where you stay, I will stay.
  • Your people will be my people.
  • Your God will be my God.
  • Where you die, I will die, and there I will be buried.
  • May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely if anything but death separates you and me.
Seeing Ruth's sincere determination, Namoi shut up and walked on with Ruth toward Bethlehem. There lay a 50-60 mile journey ahead of them. We do not read of any more arguing and urging. Like Ruth, God does not let us go alone. He is always with His children, seeing our needs, ready to forgive and show us love.

This passage is often quoted in wedding ceremonies of Christian couples. Is there any other expression of personal commitment by one person to another found in Scriptures? It reveals Ruth's character (do what's right) and genuine spiritual decision (faith in God).

We get more insight from Life Application Study Bible:
God accepts all who worship Him: He works through people regardless of their race, sex, or nationality. the book of Ruth is a perfect example of God's impartiality. Although Ruth belonged to a race often despised by Israel, she was blessed because of her faithfulness. No one should feel disqualified to serve God because of race, sex, or national background. And God can use every circumstance to build His kingdom. (See Acts 10:35.)
Will we committed to God enough to say those same words to Him? How deep is our love for our Savior? Which path will we take at our crossroad-return to the world or keep walking with Jesus?

LET IT GO

                                 ... of the past and go forward.
                                 ... of anything that hinders my relationship with God.                     
                                 ... of my ways and go God's ways.
                                 ... of whatever separates me from my God.
                                 ... and let God...
                          


No comments:

Post a Comment