Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Oil for the Lanterns

O. T. #292  "Oil for the Lanterns"
May 20, 2014
Leviticus 24-Part 1
Command the children of Israel, that they bring unto thee pure oil olive beaten for the light, to cause the lamps to burn continually.  Leviticus 24:2

LET IT GLOW

On my rock fireplace, there are two red oil burning lanterns, empty. They are there mainly to enhance the country look of the room. However, I did purchase some oil to fill them, when I need lighting up the room and the electricity is off. It should last longer than candles, though I have yet to try it. So the oil is there when I need it, though it does me no good if I don't use it. I have to pour the oil into the lantern and cause it to burn before it does me any good. In the same way, the Holy Spirit is ready to fill me, waiting to be my light, showing me the way to live, lighting up my world for Him. Am I letting Jesus light up my life and my world? Or am I empty like the lanterns? How about you, friend?


So far, we have read in Leviticus about the laws which God gave to Israel pertaining to proper conduct concerning:
  • sacrifices (chapter 17)
  • moral conduct (chapter 18)
  • priestly conduct (chapter 21)
  • observation of the Lord's feast (chapter 23)
  • conduct in the camp (chapter 24)
  • sabbatic years (chapter 25)
  • conditions for blessings or curses (chapter 26)
  • vows and dedications (chapter 27)
[Resource: Liberty Bible Commentary]

In this chapter, we read about the laws for the Tabernacle service (verses 1-9). The Lord reminds Israel about the pure olive oil to be used as fuel in the golden lampstand, which was the source of light inside the tent. It was to continually burn, with the wicks always being trimmed.

Also,there were to be 12 loaves of bread on the Table of Showbread. Each loaf represented a tribe of Israel. Each loaf was to be made of about 6 quarts of flour. To put this in perspective for us, it would measure 12 cups of flour. That is a very large loaf of bread. (Whenever I bake homemade bread, that much flour would make 3 loaves.)

The 12 loaves were to be placed in 2 rows. Frankincense was placed either on the loaves, or possibly between the rows of bread, for later burning at the altar of incense. These loaves memorialized Israel continually before the Lord. Aaron and his son ate these large loaves each week, in the Holy Place, and then they were replaced with fresh bread each Saturday. (Falwell)


LET IT GROW

The light in the Tabernacle represented Christ. The oil stands for the Holy Spirit (Zech. 4:2-6).

Jesus never stopped being the Light of the world (John 8:12). Just as Jesus never took a break from being that light, so are we (Matt. 5:14). We can only do this if we are continually supplied with oil (Holy Spirit) and have our wicks trimmed (through trials and troubles).

The bread speaks of our fellowship (breaking bread with God) and communion continuously, like what God wanted with Israel.

Showbread (Ex. 25:30) means bread of the face in the sense of it being eaten in the presence or before the face of God.

God wanted the fellowship fresh (eaten the Holy Place). He didn't want a stale communion with His people, but a fresh, new relationship. (Guzik)

Is our light still burning for Jesus today? Or have we let it go out, snuffed by our sins?
How's our fellowship with God-fresh or stale?

LET IT GO

Let Jesus' light shine in and through me.

Let Him light up my world.

Set my soul afire for You, Lord; burn brightly within me.

Keep my fellowship with fresh and new every morning, guarding it from becoming stale with sin.

God is good, all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment