May 8, 2014
Ye shall do My judgments, and keep mine ordinances, to walk therein; I am the LORD your God. Leviticus 18:5
LET IT GLOW
Yes, I am old fashioned. I am so glad that my husband and I remained sexually pure for our wedding night. (I realize that not all couples can say that.) We can hold up God's standards today in a world that considers them old fashioned. We can teach purity as a blessed lifestyle which God established for us to live by today. What has happened to our society? Where is old fashioned purity?
We discussed the first of the mandates for Israel's practical holiness living when they get in the Promised Land.
The MacArthur Bible Commentary for the last section of Leviticus:
- Sacrifice and food (chapter 17)
- Proper sexual behavior (ch. 18)
- Neighborliness (ch.19)
- Capital/grave crimes (ch. 20)
- Instructions for priests (ch. 21)
- Religious festivals (ch. 23)
- The Tabernacle (24:1-9)
- An account of blasphemy (24:10-23)
- Sabbatical and jubilee years (ch. 25)
- Exhortation to obey the law: blessings and curses (ch.26)
- Redemption of votive gifts (ch.27
- I am the LORD your God. (verse 2) Over 50 times this is said, stating the uniqueness of the one true and living God who is holy and calls His people to be holy, also.
- Do not do as they did in Egypt, living like them (verse 3)
- Do not do as the Canaanites do, following their practices (verse 3)
- Obey My laws and follow my decrees, for the one who does will live by them (verses 4-5)
- Do not have sexual relations with any close relative, a woman while she is having her monthly period, nor with your neighbor's wife. (verses 6-19)
- Do not give any of your children to be sacrificed to Molech. (verse 21)
- Do not have sexual relations man with man, man with animals. (verses 22-23)
- Native-born and aliens living among the Israelites were forbidden to do such things, also.
When God created Adam and Eve, He told them to be fruitful and multiply. Of course, we know how that took place, sex between a husband and wife, which was a man and a woman. This is the standard which He established for mankind. Sin and lust have changed sex into a detestable act in God's eyes. Oh that our nation would realize this and repent of their sins, returning to God's standards.
Are we holding up God's standards regarding sexual relations? Are we following them, also?
Did you catch the special blessing that was promised to the Israelites if they obey God's Law? These word have a higher reference to spiritual life as indicated by the Lord (Luke 10:28) and Paul (Rom. 10:5). Obedience does not save from sin and hell, but it does mark those who are saved (Eph. 2:8-9). (MacArthrur)
LET IT GROW
Verse 29 tells us that Everyone who does any of these detestable things-such persons must be cut off from their people.
Israel was instructed to keep God's requirements and not follow any of the detestable customs that were practiced before they entered the land, and not defile themselves with them. Aren't Christians required to do the same?
I think about the harlot Rahab, who protected the Israelite spies in Jericho. She had faith in Israel's God and became the mother of Boaz, who was the husband of Ruth, the great-grandparents of David. What a turn around for Rahab's life. All things are possible with God.
LET IT GO
Determine in my heart to remain faithful to my husband, following God's standards.
Encourage unmarried people to stay sexually pure for their marriage partner.
Keep praying for those who have gone astray.