Feb. 6, 2014
Exodus 25-Part 5
And thou shalt make a candlestick of pure gold... Exodus 25:31
LET IT GLOW
My husband has presided in many a weddings over the years. One ceremony sticks out in my
mind. The ceremony was going as usual, the bridesmaids and maid of honor were dressed in
the beautiful, pink gowns. After the couple was pronounced man and wife, the duty of the maid
of honor was to move the bride's train behind her as she and her new husband went down the
steps and the isle. (No tripping.) Well, the maid of honor unbeknownst) bent over to move the
train and hit the candelabra, with candles lit. As it weaved back and forth, swaying as the
guests gasped. No, it didn't topple over, but settled back in its place. I recalled that event as I
read about a lampstand in this chapter.
The second item within the Holy Place of God's Tabernacle is the lampstand.
What are the explicit instructions for making this lampstand?
- made of pure gold, hammered out, with a base and shaft;
- have flower like cups, buds, and blossoms in one piece with it;
- six branches are to extend from the sides of the lampstand (3@ side);
- three cups shaped like almond flowers with buds and blossoms are to be on 1 branch, same for all 6 branches;
- four cups have the same shape, with 1 bud located under another, 6 in all;
- seven lamps, located in the front, using wick trimmers and trays made of pure gold.
- placed opposite the Table of Showbread on the south side of the Holy Place;
- patterned after a flowering almond tree;
- provided light for the priests serving in the Holy Place;
- special care instructions (27:20-21; 30:7-8; Lev. 24:1-4);
- pure olive oil was used continuously. (MacArthur)
the Hebrews in the wilderness.
LET IT GROW
What does the Lampstand and items represent to us?
- The lampstand is typifying of the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus is the light of the world
- (John 8:12).
- Just as the lampstand provided the only light within the tent itself, Jesus is the light of the world (John 8:12; 9:5). Believers are to radiate that Light.
- The pure olive oil used to produce the light represents the Holy Spirit, who anoints us.
- The almond tree likeness represents new life, as the almond tree is the first to blossom in Israel.
- Local churches are represented by golden lampstand in Revelation 1, giving God's light
- to the dark world. (Wiersbe)
Testament, Liberty Bible Commentary]
Are we representing Jesus to the sin sick and dark world?
LET IT GO
Make Jesus the light of my life.
Allow the Holy Spirit to direct me.