Friday, August 30, 2013

Summary of Genesis

O.T.#118  "Summary of Genesis"
August 30, 2013


LET IT GLOW

We usually remember the firsts of events in our lives. Sometimes we even take pictures so we can recall the momentous occasion. Do you recall your first day of school, first date, first kiss, first airplane ride, first book report, first award or medal, first bicycle, first car, first anniversary, first solo? But do we remember the first Bible verse we memorized, the first prayer answered, when we got saved?I think you got the point.

Genesis is from the Greek word which means beginning or generation.
Of course, Genesis is the book of generations or beginnings. It records the beginning of the universe, human history, civilization, sin, salvation, sacrifice, marriage, and the family.
Moses is considered the author of the first five books of the Bible, called the Pentateuch. Since he was not alive at the time the events occurred, the Holy Spirit directed him in his writings (2 Peter 1:20-21; John 5:45-47). (Wiersbe)

For many years, only these was Israel's Bible. another common title for this section of Scripture is Torah or Law.
Genesis by content is comprised of two basic sections: Primitive history and Patriarchal history. the Primitive history records four major events:
  1. creation (chapters 1-2)
  2. the Fall (chapters 3-5)
  3. the flood (chapters 6-9)
  4. the dispersion (chapters 10-11).
Patriarchal history spotlights four great men: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph.
(MacArthur)

LET IT GROW

Usually, when I review a book of the Bible, I pick out at least one verse per chapter that are special to me. I realized that if I did the same with Genesis, there would be 50 verses to type. Please excuse me for not continuing to do this. So I thought I would review events, since so much happened in these chapters.

  • Creation of Heaven and Earth
  • Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden
  • The Fall and its outcome
  • Murder in the first degree
  • Genealogy from Adam to Noah
  • Babel and Sin before the Flood
  • Noah and the Ark
  • The Flood and deliverance
  • Abraham and Lot
  • God's Covenants with Noah and Abraham 
  • Sarah and Isaac, Hagar and Ishmael
  • Isaac and Rebekah
  • Esau and Jacob
  • Bethel
  • 12 Tribes of Israel
  • Joseph and Egypt

And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.  Gen. 2:18

But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.  Gen. 6:8

I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth. And the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.  Gen. 9:13,15b

And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness. Gen. 15:6

Is anything too hard for the LORD? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.   Gen. 18:14

But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt.  Gen. 19:26

And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.  Gen. 22:8

How then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?  Gen. 39:9c

But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.  Gen. 50:20

*I couldn't resist typing some scriptures :0)

LET IT GO

of bitterness, sin, unforgiveness, hurt, cutting words;
come to the Lamb of God-Jesus;
trust Him to deliver and bring good out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment