Monday, August 26, 2013

Letting Go

O.T. #114  "Letting Go"
August 26, 2013
Genesis 50-Part 1
My father made me swear, saying, Lo, I die: in my grave which I have digged for me in the land of Canaan, there shalt thou bury me. Now therefore let me go up, I pray thee, and bury my father, and I will come again.  Genesis 50:5

LET IT GLOW

When I was ten, I watched on television an elaborate funeral procession for our President. I guess it had been decades since a president of our country had died while in office. Perhaps you can recall funeral of other significant people-entertainers, a princess, former Presidents.
Is it hard to let go of our loved ones, whether they are moving to do God's will or going to heaven?

At the end of chapter 49, Jacob encountered death. He was 147 years old. Jacob had spent his last 17 years with Joseph in the land of Goshen. Now Joseph had to let him go.

Apparently the entire land mourned for him for 70 days, and during 40 of these days, the embalmers were preparing his body. This is the first case of an embalmed body and an elaborate funeral in the Bible. (Wiersbe)

Joseph asked permission of the Pharaoh to take his father's body back to Canaan for burial. Joseph said, "Now therefore let me go up, I pray thee, and bury my father, and I will come again."
So the Pharaoh gave his approval and the whole family, except for the little ones and the animals that were left in the land of Goshen, went. Also, the servants of Pharaoh and all the elders of the land of Egypt. It must be referring to dignitaries.

Why did Jacob want to be buried back in Canaan? It was the land that God had given to him and his ancestor and descendants. Jacob didn't belong to this world (Egypt at the time). Not only does the believer's spirit go to heaven when they die, but one day the body will be taken from this world at the resurrection. Are you ready to go?

Jesus went up to His father after He died on the cross, but He came to earth to appear as the Resurrected Savior. One day he will come again to receive His own. One day the believers in Jesus who have died will be caught up with Him in the clouds.
Are you ready, friends?

LET IT GROW

In verse 12 we read that Jacob's sons did as Jacob commanded them. That was probably the only time that all his sons obeyed their father.

Do we obey our heavenly Father? His instructions are written in His book, The Holy Bible.
The Holy Spirit gives us directions, also. Are we listening?

LET IT GO

Let go of others so they can go do the Father's work.

When it's time, let go of loved ones.

Be willing to go as the Spirit leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment