Wednesday, August 14, 2013

My Life's Story

O.T. #106  "My Life's Story"
August 14, 2013
Genesis 49-Part 2
Reuben, thou art my firstborn, my might, and the beginning of my strength, the excellency of dignity, and the excellency of power.  Genesis 49:3

LET IT GLOW

If my father had revealed my character and predicted the history of my descendants, I wonder what it would have been. Would he have seen me as a faithful child of God? I am sad to say, 26 years ago when he was alive, he only saw the beginning of my faith developing. We had only been in the ministry 7 years. He had seen more years of my unfaithfulness and rebellion than years of my faithfulness to God. One day, I will be able to share with him in heaven my life's story. I don't expect a book written about me, nor my life recorded in a song, but I am trying to share my faith on this blog. What would my life's story say about me? How about you, dear friend? What will your life's story say about you?

Jacob's life was coming to an end. He called in his sons and give them his final message to them. He revealed their character and predicted their history. The sons of Jacob are mentioned in chronological order in relation to their mothers, except for the fifth and sixth sons of Leah. But then, they may have been listed as Jacob recalled them. Who knows? I would like to dwell on each son, questioning which one we are like.

Reuben was the first born of Jacob. Leah was Reuben's mother. Do you recall that Jacob worked seven years in order to marry his beloved Rachel, but the girls' father tricked Jacob and gave Leah to him instead of Rachel. God controlled the birth of the children in Jacob's family. Leah gave Jacob 6 sons and 1 daughter, Dinah.
Reuben means "See, a son!" He was a cause of both rejoicing and heartache. Reuben had a right to a double portion of his inheritance as the birthright of the first born according to Deut.21:17, but he didn't. It went to Judah instead. Also, the blessing of the first born should have been Reuben's, but it went to Joseph. He lost them both.

Wait a minute. In spite of the bad that Reuben did in his life, Jacob said that Reuben was the beginning of his strength and the excellency of his dignity and power. He had something good to say about this son, even though the bad might outweigh it.

Am I showing others that I am God's child? Is my life honoring Him instead of me? Do they see the love of God?
Are you a believer in Jesus, friend? Jesus said in John 14:6, I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me.

The only way to peace is through Jesus Christ. I know this is true, because He is living in my heart. His not just a story of a good man, but Jesus is God in the form of a man, a perfect man. God is a Spirit. You, too can know Him by asking Jesus to forgive you of your sins and be your Savior today.


LET IT GROW

Why did Reuben not receive his birthright and blessing as the first born of Jacob?
First, looking back in chapter 35, we recall the sin of incest that Reuben committed with Bilhah, his father's concubine, who produced half brothers to Reuben.
Next, we read about Jacob's blessing Joseph's son in chapter 48.

Jacob called Reuben unstable as water, which means a boiling over of water, referring to unstable emotions.

History gives witness that Reuben never did influence the nation of Israel after his fornication with Bilhah. No prophet, judge, or hero ever came from this tribe; and when Isaiah lamented for the land east of the Jordan in chapter 15, he only mentioned Moab. (Falwell)

Moses prayed for this tribe not to die out (Deut. 33:6). In the census of Israel's men age 20 or older able to go to war was 46,500 from the tribe of Reuben. (Numbers 1) His descendants and their territory was east of the Jordan and the salty Dead Sea. The Reubenites received all the cities of the southern plain that once belonged to Sihon king of the Amorites. (Joshua 13)

Two of Reuben's great grandsons, Dathan and Abiram, conspired with Korah against Moses and Aaron, rebelling against the LORD. The earth opened up its mouth and swallowed them with Korah, and fire devoured 250 of their followers. (Numbers 26) I wonder if Reuben ever repented of his sin with Bilhah. His descendants seemed to have carried on his rebellious attitudes.

However, Reuben's tribe is mentioned in Revelation 7 among the 12 tribes with 12,000 having the seal of the 144,000.


LET IT GO

Rejoice that my name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life.

Have a grateful attitude to hand down to my descendants.

Honor God in all I do.



No comments:

Post a Comment