Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Smellin' Sweets

O.T. #111  "Smellin' Sweets"
August 21, 2013
Genesis 49-Part 7
Out of Asher his bread shall be fat, and he shall yield royal dainties.  Genesis 49:20

LET IT GLOW

On days when the humidity is high and the north wind blows, I can step out onto my front porch, take a deep sniff,  and smell what the local factory of a nationally known bakery is cooking. I say she's baking again. Those smells activate my sweet tooth. If I don't get a handle on it, I will have handles, all right, on both sides of me, too. I'll be round like the donuts I eat. Sweets and breads are my weakness when it comes to food. Give me a warm, thick icing on a honey bun with 450 calories and 22 fat grams and I'm in heaven. Of course, cinnamon rolls aren't turned away by me either. Glad I already ate my oatmeal this morning or I'd be headin' to town for a purchase. Are you with me? (Hang on, it does relate to our lesson.)

The wives of Leah and Rachel seemed to have been in competition for Jacob's affections. While Leah had six sons and a daughter by Jacob, it looks like Rachael had none at this time. To continue the sister rivalry, Leah gave her maid Zilpah to Jacob. She conceived twice and bore Jacob two sons, Gad and Asher.

 Asher means happy; Leah was stating her inner happiness at having another son in the camp.
Moses spoke about each tribe, of which Asher is mentioned in Deuteronomy 33:24 NIV: Most blessed of sons is Asher; let him be favored by his brothers, and let him bathe his feet in oil. The bolts of your gates will be iron and bronze, and your strength will equal your days.

Asher benefited much from occupying the agriculturally rich costal region north of Carmel, and provided gourmet delights for the palace  (Joshua 19:24-31).   ( MacArthur)

(In the south we pronounce Carmel as carmul, which makes me think of icing again. Help! Those gourmet delights are pulling me into sinful indulgence. Resist, Linda, resist, girl.)

Asher was to receive the fertile and highly productive land in the lowlands of Carmel, west to the Mediterranean and north to the territory of Tyre. Moses referred to Asher in Deuteronomy 33:24-
25 as the rich produce of the western Galilean hill country and the fact they would be given strength to secure Israel's northern border.  (Falwell)

Food fit for a king, of all sorts, flesh, fish, fowl. They were King Soloman's food source. It became known as Asher's country. (Gill)

The number of the tribe of Asher grew to 345,000 according to Numbers 26:47. Its territory was marked by the relative positions of its cities, not other features. There were 22 major cities within the territory of Asher.

Will I share the sweet things of the Word with others today? Is Jesus my Bread of Life? Food for my soul?

LET IT GROW

Moving on, Naphtali means wrestling, depicting Rachel's struggles. He was Bilhah, Rachel's handmaid.
In Genesis 30:8, Rachel said, With great wrestlings have I wrestled with my sister, and I have prevailed; and she called his name Naphtali.

I have a hard time understanding Jacob having four wives. Anyway, that was the way it was.

Naphtali is a hind let loose: he giveth goodly words. (verse 21)
What? I had to dig for this gold nugget.

They would be a free, mountain people; they would breed true and keep their character. Along with Zebulun, they were recognized for heroism in the great battle with the Canaanite general, Sisera (Judges 4-5). (Fawell)

Naphtali's gardens had palm trees, fig trees, and olive trees. They were as swift to bring forth fruit, as a hind is swift to run.  (Gill)

We often see deer around our farm, running across the field, jumping over fences. It is amazing to watch them run so fast, especially when I go outside.

Naphtali is compared to a beautiful deer let loose, and it is promised that he will know how to use powerful language; see the victory and the song of Barak and Deborah in Judges 4-5. (Wiersbe)

Am I swift to do the will and work of my heavenly Father?

Naphtali was the land where Jesus did much of His teaching and ministry (Matt. 4:12-16).  (Guzik)

Jesus liked to go to the gardens to pray. In fact, that is where He was when Judas betrayed Jesus to the Roman soldiers.

LET IT GO

Share sweet words today.

Eat from the Bread of Life, Jesus.

Be swift to do good and to share the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment