Friday, August 23, 2013

Gathered in Heaven

O.T. #113  "Gathered in Heaven"
August 23, 2013
Genesis 49-Part 9
And when Jacob had made an end of commanding his sons, he gathered up his feet into the bed, and yielded up the ghost, and was gathered unto his people.  Genesis 49:33

LET IT GLOW

What a day that will be, when I am gathered with my people, family, in heaven. I will get to meet my two grandmothers for the first time. I will get to talk with Dad after 26 years and with Mom after 16 years. What a reunion day to which I am looking forward. Most of all, it will be the day I bow before my Lord Jesus. I get tears just thinking about that joyous time.
How about you friend? Will I get to meet you there?

Benjamin is the last son mentioned by Jacob as he blessed his twelve sons. He was compared to the wolf because of its warlike character as a tribe. His tribe is compared to a wolf catching the game he pursues and then enjoys his prey at night. Not only would they be successful in war, but they would be cruel (Judges 20:21) as they stood against the other tribes in defense of their wickedness in Gibeah. They were distinguished as archers and slingers (Judges 20:16).
This battle was between the Israelites and Benjamites. The Israelites lost 40,000 men in two days and the Benjamites lost 50,000 men on the third day of the battle at Gibeah.
The judge Ehud, King Saul, and Jonathan, along with the apostle Paul were from the tribe of Benjamin.
Joseph suffered the most during his early life, but he received the greatest blessings. Some of the other tribes lost their blessings because of the sins of their founders.
[Resources: Liberty Bible Commentary, Wiersbe's Expository Outlines on the Old Testament]

Am I like the wolf? do I fight against my brothers and sisters?

LET IT GROW

When Jacob was finished with giving all the blessings to his sons, he gave instructions to them where to bury hiss body-in the cave at Ephron. That was where Abraham and Sarah, Isaac and Rebekah were buried, as well as Leah, Jacob's wife. Jacob's dying instructions were carried out (50:12-14).

When Jacob breathed his last breath, he was gather to his people. Jacob believed that his people, though dead, still existed (verse 29; 47:30)

Will you be gathered with your family in heaven when you die? What a day that will be! We shall see Jesus face to face. Are you looking forward to that day?

LET IT GO

Turn my eyes upon Jesus; turn away from the world.

Keep peace with the family of God.

Look up, our redemption draweth nigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment