Friday, July 1, 2011

What's in a Name?

293.  "What's in a Name?"                        July 1, 2011

2 Thessalonians 2-Part 2
Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition. Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.          2 Thess. 2:3-4


LET IT GLOW

Since I don't know your name, I will tell you mine. It is Linda. I like that name a lot better than what my mother had considered naming me-Pernissy Millar. (It's ok to join me in a laugh.) Can you imagine being called either one of those names? Having your teacher call your name on the morning roll-Pernissy? Ooooh! Not I. So I asked Mom why was she considering those names for me. She told me those two names were the middle names of my two grandmothers. (Both passed away  months before I was born.) I can see the significance of it, but I sure am glad Mom changed her mind! Whew! That was close! My family gets a good laugh whenever this is told.
Have you seen those racks at the stores that contain many names, usually on cards, which explain the meaning of your name? Often times they are in bookstores, novelty shops, tourists boutiques. Well, I found a card with my name and the meaning of it. (Never have found Pernissy or Millar.) Linda means "Pretty One" or "Beautiful." Now you can see the second reason why I'm happy that is my name. However, very few times have I had anyone tell me that I'm pretty or beautiful. Oh well, I hope that I'm prettier on the inside than the outside.But then, life isn't about me, it's about serving Jesus.

Ecclesiastes 3:11 a states, "He hath made every thing beautiful in his time."

Yes, dear friend, you too are beautiful. Let no one tell you otherwise. Our Father God says so. And He doesn't lie!

All right, back to the Word. Speaking of names, as I read various comments on this chapter, I noticed that there were many names for Satan during this up-coming time. Here's what I found:
*man of sin
*man of lawlessness
*the Antichrist (1 John 2 & 4)
*prince who is to come (Dan. 9:26)
*the little horn (Dan. 7:8)
*the beast (Rev. 13:2-10, 18)
*son of perdition
*deceiver (2 John 7)
*beast out of the sea (Rev. 13:1)
I'm sure there are others that I haven't mentioned.

What's in a name? In Old Testament times, the parents used to name children according to the meanings of a name. The MacAruthur Bible Commentary says, "The key to identifying the event is to identify the main person, which Paul does, calling him the 'man of sin.' "  I found no difference of opinion on this. I think the Bible is pretty clear.

Well, we will have a new name in glory according to Revelation 2:18. Do you recall that at Antioch the followers of Jesus were called Christians? It's found in Acts 11:26. That's the most important name for me to be called, "Christian." How about you?
Less I give too much focus to Satan, there are lots of names for our Lord Jesus, in the Old and New Testament. In fact, there have been books written about them and their meanings.  As I pray, I still call Him " Jehovah, the Great I Am, Savior, Messiah, Jehovah Jireh." The list is endless. Most of all His name is Wonderful. That's who Jesus is to me-Wonderful.

What does your name mean? Anyone want to share? Come on, if I can share mine,surely you can share yours.

Well, at any rate, let us be warned that Satan will oppose God as he always has.

Liberty Bible Commentary says this: 
Opposeth is in present tense in Greek and implies continued, dertermined, and planned opposition to god. It's a common word for the opposing sides in a battle. Exalteth himself shows his extreme pride; he puts himself over everything considered as a god or an object of worship ans it were, seats himself in the Temple of God.

LET IT GROW

Did you notice the phrase "falling away?" Paul is saying that before the Day of the Lord begins this will occur.
Falling away, (apostasia in Greek), is our sourse of the English word "apostasy." It means literally "standing away from" or "departure." (Liberty Bible Commentary)

So this is telling us that there will be a departure from the faith. Its the final apostasy led by the man of sin, the son of perdition.
Revealed (apokalypto in Greek) shows that he exists prior to the time of this revelation or appearance. I John 2:18 states that there were already many antichrists, in the sense of people who are against Christ, existing today.It isn't certain who this person will be; but the identification of the Man of Sin with the coming Antichrist of Revelation is the most logical conclusion. He is the Antichrist, the false christ who will force himself and his kingdom upon the world one day (Rev. 13:15-17).
[Resource: Liberty Bible Commentary]

It is my prayer that you and I will not fall away, that we will remain close followers of Christ, the One and Only God to be worshiped. Are we helping others to remain faithful and to grow in that faith?


LET IT GO

Be alert to false doctrines and false leaders, always on the lookout, watching and listening.

Stay at the feet of my Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Remain in the Word of God.

Thank You Lord for the new name You have given me, Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment