Friday, July 15, 2011

A Zooming Boat

2 Thessalonians 2-Part 9 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.        2 Thess. 2:15


LET IT GLOW

We were riding in a small boat, which was driven by a stranger, in a foreign land. Fast must have been the only speed he knew, because we were skiming and zooming across the top of the water like a speed boat. Clouds were overhead, the wind was blowing strongly, water spraying my face.We had  waited out the storm earlier before getting into the boat. We all wanted so badly to make this short trip, that nothing would detour us. Our group of six was headed to an island for a picnic, surrounded by the beautiful, deep blue China Sea. It was planned to be a day of relaxation, swimming, and snorkling. I was scared. Why?  I am afraid of water and this water was definitely over my head surrounding me. Oh, we were wearing life jackets for safety, but that wasn't comforting. Others said comforting words in an effort to reassure me. All  I could do was  close my eyes, pray, and hang on. (It only took us about 10 minutes to reach our destination.)

If I had used my noggin (head) and not my feelings, I would have realized that God was with us. He wasn't going to let His missionaries, who were on board with us, drown from a boat accident right then. I didn't think those logical thoughts as the boat rocked and water sprayed on my face, zooming on top of the water.
Friend, I had to ride out the storm because there was no turning back. It was out of my control, too.

Obviously we made it safely to shore and back again later. We had a wonderful time while on the island (no rain or storm). I saw beautifully colored fish that I would never have seen if I had refused to get into the boat, or had I insisted that he driver turn around and take me back to shore. I'm so glad that I didn't miss out on such a fun time. Life can be like that, too.

In our scripture, Paul exhorts the Thessalonians to "stand firm and hold." Why?
* They were shaken from their composure and disturbed by some false information. (verse 2)
* They were being deceived. (verse 3)
* They were forgetting some of the teaching Paul had given them earlier. (verse 5)
* In the stormy winds of false teaching, they were being tossed about by the waves that slapped against their
    bow.
* Shipwreck was imminent unless measures were taken to secure their faith.
* The exhortation was to batten down the hatches and ride out the storm.
* They were to get rid of the loose baggage on deck and tie down the main cargo below.
*They were not to jump ship in the face of the persecution that was washing over them in waves, but were to
   "stand firm."
*As deception rocked the boat and unsteadied their feet, they were to "hold to the tradition" taught them.
[Reference: Steadfast Christianity]


What rocks your boat? What do we do when the storms of life toss us around? Do I stand firm and hold onto Jesus with faith, trusting Him to see me through? Or do I want to jump ship? Do I react in a sinful or selfish way? What would Jesus have me do?

According to Thayer's Lexicon, the word stand means to hold fast, form; to persist, persevere in godliness
and hold means to hold fast, not to discard or let go; to keep carefully and faithfully.

There's the answer. I am to persevere in godliness and not let go of my faith, staying faithful to my Savior no matter what storm comes to rock my boat. What would it take for us to jump ship, turn away from Jesus and His teachings?


.LET IT GROW

David Guzik Commentary tells us to:
stand fast because of our glorious destiny (the glory of our Lord Jesus, 2 Thess. 2:14). What do they stand fast to? God's Word, delivered both by the authoritative word of the apostles (by word) and the letters of the apostles (our epistle).
The Bible recognizes that traditions can be a dangerous feature of religious system (Matt. 15:2-3) or the traditions of man (Colossians 2:8). But Paul has in mind the apostolic traditions preserved for us in the record of the New Testament.
It is only this anchor of God's Word that can enable us to stand fast under the weigth of our present tribualtion, and the weight of our coming glory.

We know that Paul's teachings were Holy Spirit inspired, so we can believe it, hold onto it, and count on it.


LET IT GO

Hold onto God's Word and don't let go. Keep on trusting and obeying our Savior Jesus Christ.

Stay in the boat when He wants me to and then He will say, "Peace, be still," to the wind and the waves.

Stand fast being persistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment