Monday, July 4, 2011

Freedom

Greetings Dear Friends,

Happy Independence Day!

I was thinking about the freedoms I enjoy today. As an American, the Constitution guarantees me many freedoms. We all know them. I won't go into that. Well, I got to wondering what the word freedom meant, so I looked it up.

Webster's Dictionary defines freedom as the state of being free; personal liberty or national independence.
The word free has several meanings: enjoying personal liberty and not enslaved; unrestrained; obtained without cost-given without charge. My dictionary gave 11 definitions for this word, which I will not bore you with. 

The freedoms I enjoy as an American came at a high cost to others. We have read about those who fought and died for our independence as a nation, so many wars, but she has survived. So many lives given for us.

So it is as a Christian. I am free from the penalty of sin, which means I don't have to pay for them. My sins were paid for by another-Jesus Christ. My salvation came at a high cost, the death of a sinless man, who did not deserve to have nails in His hands and feet in order to hang on a cross. He did it because He loves me. He did it because He loves you, dear friend. Have you asked Him to forgive you of your sins that put Him on that cross? I have. How wonderful is the freedom I enjoy now that I am free from the penalty of my sins!

Here are a few scriptures I found using the word free:
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8: 32)

"If the Son shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed." (John 8:36)

"Being made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness." (Rom. 6:18)

"But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." (Rom. 6:22-23)

"For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death."
(Rom. 8:2)

"Stand fast therefore in the liberty Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage." (Galatians 5:1)

"As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God."
(1 Peter 2:16)
 

I thank God for my nation in which I live and enjoy many freedoms.
I thank my God for the freedom from the penalty of my sins through Jesus. 
How about you dear friend? Will you enjoy your freedom today?

If you will excuss me for a few days, I will be having fun with my grandchildren from Rhode Island. I only get to see them once a year. Yeah, I'm doing the grandma thing! So come back on July 7th and we will resume our study in 2 Thessalonians.

Meanwhile, enjoy your freedoms and have a safe fourth of July!

A Sister in Christ,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment