Thursday, July 7, 2011

Recollect

2 Thessalonians 2-Part 3                
Do you not remember that while I was  still with you, I was telling you these things?  (NAS)


LET IT GLOW

This past week, I got together with several family members. My sister and two of her children were here, so we recollected things that happened and things we did while kids at home. I hadn't seen the girls in 14 years since Mom passed away. It had been about 8 years since I had been with my sister. Nancy was like a second mother to me. She is 10 years older than I am. So while Mom worked outside the home, Nancy watched over mefrom babyhood to childhood.
She recalled taking me to the creek and I played with a small pool of water while she and her neighborhood friends swam. As the years went by, we camped out on the creek, which was owned by our grandfather. She was always looking out for me. One time while camping, nature called, and we both went up in the woods. Well, we didn't stay long, for there was a big black snake living where we went. Nancy left her hat hanging on a branch there, due to our speedy exit. Some guys killed the snake and retreved her hat. Oh my, such fun recollecting our memories. It was a fantastic time!
You probably have some adventures you could share, right?

Paul used the word remember in our verse.
According to Thayer's Dictionary, remember means to exercise memory, recollect; to rehearse; make mention, be mindful.
I wondered if my pronounciation of the word recollect, was a dialect or if it was correct, but the Webster's Dictionary shows it: rek"e-lekt'. So I was correct in my recollect :)  It isn't re-collect, so I was right.

Paul is asking the Thessalonians to refer back to the preaching he did while with them.

Liberty Bible Commentary says it this way, "Two grammatical items in the Greek make the meaning clear, 'You surely recall, do you not, that during my stay, I told you this repeatedly.' "


LET IT GROW

The King James Bible says verse 5 this way: Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?

Notice the phrase "I told you."  How many times have I heard or said that in our lifetime? Moms say it to their children and as a child, I'm sure I heard it said to me.
The MacArthur Bible Commentary states:
The imperfect tense is used, indicating repeated action in past time. Apparently, Paul on numerous occasions had taught the Thessalonians the details of God's future plans. Here, he reminded them of the issues which proved the false teachers wrong about the Day of the Lord. Paul had before told them that the revealing of the Antichrist preceded the Day of the Lord; since he had not yet been revealed, they could not possibly be in that day.

Remember, the Thessalonians thought they had missed out on the Rapture of the church, described in
1 Thessalonians 4:13, John 14:1-3.

Friend, we haven't missed anything either. Are you looking forward to that day? I am. I will have a first-class ticket on that day. Jesus told us some things would occur before the Rapture. Do I recollect His Word so I know?


LET IT GO

Keep recollecting Bible verses so I don't forget them and my faith wavers.

Remember that Jesus is coming to take His Bride home one day. As believers, you and I are a part of it.

Woohoo! Getin' ready to meet our Lord Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment