Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Sink in the Arms of Jesus, Not in Sin

N.T.#172 "Sink in the Arms of Jesus, Not in Sin"

Oct. 25, 2023

Matthew 14-Part 15 

Folks, I can say that I failed my test terribly when I fractured my bone near the ankle. The pain kept me awake in the hours of dark nights. The crutches made my hands and underarms so sore. I even taped potholders on them and it didn't help. (No walking on my foot for a month was the doctor's orders.) I wish I could say I was fine through it all, but it was not the truth. Not only was I tired, tired of hurting, sleepy, and grumbly, but was I ever a grouch! My husband was so wonderful to bring me food and help me.

Finally, a church let me borrow a wheelchair. That enabled me to get back into church services, go to the store, and just get out of the house. After a while, I was able to sit on my step stool in the kitchen and load the dishwasher, fold clothes on the couch, and feel useful again. 

But through it all, Jesus never turned His back on me and gave up on me. I finally was able to study the Word, worship God, and walk with Jesus (spiritually) again. If you have ever broken a bone, you understand this. It was my first time. Now I think breaking a bone is worse than having surgery. At least you can walk around. 

I have a deeper understanding now what "walking by faith" means. The disciples found out, too. Jesus revealed His power through miracles to them and others. It is going with Jesus where He leads, trusting Him to provide for needs, waiting patiently on Him, praising Him in the valleys.

I was reading how Swindoll applied verses 22-26. I turned his statements into questions for us to consider: Is Jesus calling you to walk with Him amidst your storm of life? Do you need Jesus to calm your storm right now? Maybe He needs to calm us, instead.

  1. We sometimes feel all alone when we experience dark nights, but we aren't. If we are saved, Jesus takes up permanent residence in our life. His Spirit can reassure us, strengthen us, grow our faith, and help us know we are not alone. Keep hope, for Jesus can help us get through this storm.
  2. The storms of life seem to last forever, but they will cease. Whatever we are going through, Jesus knows about it, permits it, or directs it. It won't last forever.
  3. We sometimes experience dreadful moments when we think we will drown, but we don't. Jesus can renew our faith and confidence in Him. It is when we take our eyes off Jesus that we begin to sink in sin, so sink into the arms of Jesus instead. 
  4. Reach out to Jesus, for He is reaching out to you. Take His hand. Let Jesus encourage you today.
  5. Tests are not designed to finish us off, not even dark nights, nor raging storms. Let them drive us to our knees in prayer and lift our eyes to worship[ the Lord Jesus.
Jesus is faithful. There maybe more going on behind the scenes than we can see in this trial. He is in the waiting. Ain't nobody loved me like Jesus. Ain't nobody that could. He saved me, raised me from the ashes of sin, set my feet on a Solid Rock. 

2 comments: