Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Grace

O. T. #1883  "Grace"

Feb. 17, 2021

Ezekiel 14

LET IT GLOW

I hope everyone is able to stay warm during this cold, cold, winter. In my area, we have had a lot of snow and temperatures down to -16, which is unusual for us. Since I was going to stay inside this week anyway, I guess it was the week for me to have a stomach bug. The Lord is good and I am able to eat now and keep it in me, although the cramps are hard to endure. But enough of my situation.

Here is today's devotional found in Sarah Young's, Jesus Calling, though I changed it to speaking to you and me:

Jesus is the Risen One who shines upon us always. We worship a living Deity, not some idolatrous, man-made image. Our relationship with Him is meant to be vibrant and challenging, as Jesus invades more areas of our life. Do not fear change, for I am making you a new creation, with old things passing away and new things continually on the horizon. When we cling to old ways and sameness, we resist the work of Jesus within us. He wants us to embrace all that He is doing in our life, finding our security in Jesus alone. It is easy to make an idol of routine, finding security within the boundaries we build around our life.

Today's chapter speaks of idol worship by the Jews in Judah and those sent in exile in Babylon. You know, most of us probably consider our self as not worshiping idols. That may be true, but when we spend more time, energy, and heart desires for things, whether material or otherwise, then it can become our idol. God requires us to have not idols and only worship Him.

It is easy for us to criticize the Israelites for worshiping idols when they so clearly needed God instead. But we have idols in our hearts when we pursue reputation, acceptance, wealth, or sensual pleasure with the intensity and commitment that should be reserved for serving God. (Life Application Study Bible)

Folks, we have been studying about Israel's worshiping idols now for some time-Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel. Are we taking the message seriously? Sometimes we need to stop and do some soul searching. Maybe we should ask God if we have any idols in our life.

Help us Jesus to love You most of all and more than anything in this world.

LET IT GROW

Shall we jump into our chapter? What is going on is that the elders in exile came to Ezekiel to seek counsel of the Lord. Were they finally convinced that judgment was coming on their brethren still in Jerusalem? Do they wonder if God would spare those left in Jerusalem for the sake of a few righteous within it? Back in Genesis 18:32, the Lord promised to not destroy Sodom if ten righteous were found there. (But they were not found.)

However, those elders were not motivated by a pure heart. God saw their hearts and asked them to repent of practicing idolatry and to turn from them. The elders were startling the fence, so to speak. They would make the appearance of worshiping God making regular visits to the Temple to offer sacrifices. But they were insincere. We can understand why God had warned them what was ahead if they did not change their hearts' devotions. He alone is to be worshiped and praised.

How did the Lord god answer those elders?

Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols; and turn away your faces from all your abominations. (verse 6)

...and ye shall know that I am the LORD. (verse 8)

... that they may be my people, and I may be their God. (verse 11)

When an individual repents of their sins, God receives them in grace, no matter how vile their heart is. (Liberty Bible Commentary)

 So, friend, do we need to repent of idolatry and love god with all of our heart, soul, mind, and strength?Do we need the grace of God today?

LET IT GO

Jesus, take my heart and forgive me for spending more time with the box called television than I spend with You. I have wasted so much time and my life sitting there. Change me, mold me, make me into what You want me to be. Make me a new creation again.

You alone are God Almighty, gracious to all who come to You in repentance.

You alone are LORD, the Self-Existent and Eternal One.

Praise be to the Lord Jesus Christ, our God and Savior!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment