Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Peace and Quiet

 N.T.#144 "Peace and Quiet"

Sept. 13, 2023

Matthew 13

LET IT GLOW

Some mornings or evenings when it is cool outside, I like to sit on my porch swing and enjoy the outdoors. I hear birds singing, see the trees swaying in the gentle breeze, look at the clouds in the sky, and watch my kittens play with each other. Awe, country life. None like it. Peace and quiet is a rarity now days. 

My apologies everyone, my ankle has been giving me a terrible time. This bone fracture won't let me stay up very long. Then it swells and pains me. Frustration and depression crept in and I am so ashamed.  I hope to do better.

The Pharisees gave Jesus a horrible time in the last chapter. He must have been exhausted. The accused Him of operating by the power of Satan (verse 24) They accused the disciples of harvesting grain on the Sabbath, when they were actually feeding their hungry bellies. (verses 1-7) Healing a man's withered hand, the blind and mute, then there was sending out demons-that would have convinced them of the identity of Jesus as the Messiah. They tried to find flaws in His miracles, setting Jesus up as a sinner. Yet, their cat-and-mouse games failed. People believed in The Christ as the Son of the Living God and Savior. 

Those high-stressed days resulted in Jesus needing a get away to catch His breath. 

That day Jesus went out of the house and was sitting by the sea. (verse 1)

Did Jesus close His eyes and smell the wildflowers' sweet scents? Did He hear the birds chirping praises to their Maker? Were the waves that He created lapping against the shore? Did His lungs take in the fresh air with thankfulness? We don't know how long Jesus was able to rest before it was back to business. His break was over! The crowd gathered along the shore of the Sea of Galilee. They wanted to see this Jesus and hear what He had to say.(verse 2)

Have you had crowds around you when you wanted to be alone? Has the phone seemed to ring off the hook when you needed to sleep or rest?  Bless their hearts, folks texted me to check up on me and let me know they cared about my condition. Since I was able to sleep much at night because of the bruising and pain, I tried to rest in the mornings. Finally, I had to turn my phone off. Then the traffic went by early, the trash collectors and school bus flew by; the cats needed their breakfast and made noises. Needless to say, it has been a trying time for both my husband and for me. 

I understand that Jesus needed some R & R.

LET IT GROW

What did Jesus do? He got into a boat, sat down, and began to teach in parables. The shore there formed a semicircle like a natural theater. Its bowl-shaped landscape provides ideal acoustics, enabling a speaker to be heard by a large crowd assembled on the sloping land. (Cristler)

Therefore, the teacher had to be in the water facing the shore. As the sound of the voice is deflected off the surface of the water, it can be carried to the ears of thousands of listeners on land. That is why Jesus got into a boat, positioning Himself in the center of the semicircle. (Swindoll)

I did not know this, did you? People pay good bucks to attend concerts and this orator was free of charge. 

LET IT GO

Sweet Jesus, open our ears to hear what You have to say to us in Your Word.

Holy Spirit, bless those who read this.

Use us to share Your love today.

Forgive us our failures. 

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you my friend. I know about pain, frustration, and depression. Unfortunately, it can wear us down, BUT, Jesus knows and understands. He loves you through and in it all.

    ReplyDelete