Monday, November 6, 2017

Facing a Hard Thing

O. T. #1091  "Facing a Hard Thing"
Nov. 6, 2017
Esther 4-Part 2
...if I perish, I perish. Esther 4:16

LET IT GLOW

What has been the hardest thing you have done lately? About three years ago, the opportunity came for me to tell my testimony and life story to a room full of teenage girls. I had everything planned and written out, as the Lord led. What I lacked was courage to tell it. You see, many church members and gals would hear some not so good experiences I went through in my early life. I had kept them secret. but if God could use me to reach others, I knew I had to do it. He gave me that courage as I knelt in a prayer closet, alone. It turned out fine. Esther faced a similar situation, yet hers could require her life.

Don't kid yourself, Esther knew what she had to do. She was a bright gal, but it would be the hardest thing she ever did, risking her life. She needed courage and details from God.

As Queen Esther faced a desperate situation of facing the king of Persia without an invitation, which could mean her death, she first faced her God, desperate for His instructions. Her cousin Mordecai told Esther to go plead with the king for the lives of the Jews to be spared. (Haman had convinced the king to set a date for the killing of all the Jews because they were in rebellion against him.)

Esther would be risking everything-her life since Persian law prohibited one from talking to the king without being invited; the lives of her Jewish family if she did not do so; God's chosen nation of people would not continue to provide the lineage for the Messiah, Jesus Christ.

Esther and her maidens prayed and fasted for 3 days about the matter. Mordecai and the Jews of Susa prayed and fasted for the matter and Esther, too.

Only God could give victory in changing the law of destruction with His power. Only God can give us peace and a plan, and courage carry them out.

Many times God's Word tells us to be strong and courageous, as He did those in the story:
Deut. 31:6; Joshua 1:6, 10:25, 23:6-8; 2 Samuel 10:12; 1 Chron. 19:13, 23:13, 28:20

LET IT GROW

We may not know how our circumstances will change, how our situation will turn out, but God will hear us, answer us, deliver us, and honor us if we will call upon Him.

(Psalm 91:15 states,  He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honor him.

If we seek the Lord with all of our heart and soul, we will find Him as Deuteronomy 4:29 says.

What happens if we ask, seek, and knock? Matthew 7:7 tells us: Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

Esther needed the door to the courtyard of the great king of Persia opened unto her when she knocked, then entrance granted her so she could speak to the king. I wonder if the king told the guard to let her inside. Next lesson we will see how God granted this for her.

Certainly, Esther was queen of Persia for such a time as this. We can be assured, precious friends, that we are alive, living in our family and community, for such a time as this. Are we ready to do what  life's purpose is?

Life Application Study Bible says:
Will we, like Esther:
  • calculate the cost (Her life was at stake.);
  • set priorities (Safety of the Jews was more important than her life.;
  • prepare (She gathered support and fasting and prayers.)
  • determined a course of action and move ahead as God leads. (Taking too long would lessen her commitment.)
Are you facing a hostile audience, confronting a friend, talking to family about changes? Let's follow Esther's example and pray and fast, asking God what to do before doing anything.

LET IT GO

Determine to obey whatever God leads me to do.
Then pray and fast over the matter.

Your will,
Your way,
Today, I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment