Oct. 9, 2017
Nehemiah 12-Part 2
God is the strength of my heart. My portion forever. Psalm 73:26b
LET IT GLOW
We read today about the Jews walking on the wall they rebuilt around Jerusalem as part of its dedication. Are we walking on the wall, spiritually speaking? On one side is the world pulling us down and on the other side is our faith, holding us up. Which way will we lean? Will our wall of faith remain strong until the end?
Jerusalem was growing city with new people, commerce, homes sprouting everywhere within its walls. After the population and housing crisis was resolved, the dedication of the wall around Jerusalem took place. The Jews survived the setbacks, criticisms, and challenges they faced during the reconstruction of the wall. What a change for them. The Jews responded with joy.
What took place at the dedication?
- Nehemiah sent out a special invitation to the religious leaders from the surrounding villages, the Levites, to come to Jerusalem for the preparation of the dedication celebration. They gathered and prepared. (verse 27) There would have been 284 men contacted, not by texting or phone. These men were descendants of Levi and specialists in Temple and Tabernacle activities.
- The Levite singers were to keep the dedication with gladness, with thanksgiving, with singing, and musical instruments. (verse 27)
- The priests and Levites purified themselves, the people, and he gates and the wall. (verse 30) Probably sin offerings were made.
Paul tells us in Romans 12:1-2 to present our bodies as a living sacrifice and our minds for renewal and transformation so we can prove what is good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Paul tells us in Hebrews 13:15 to offer Him the sacrifice of praise to God continually with thanksgiving; to do good and to share, for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.
LET IT GROW
What happened next?
- The leaders and musicians were divided into two processional groups walking on top of the wall.
- One group was led by Ezra, who walked in one direction, with music played and singing. Ty saw the results of their hard labor, the gates and the steps leading up to the city.
- The second group, led by Nehemiah, walked in the opposite direction, seeing the towers and gates built.
- The two groups met at the Temple to worship.
Verse 40 says, So stood the two companies of them that gave thanks in the house of God, and I, and the half of the rulers with me.
Do we give thanks to God in the House of God? How is our attitude? Is it joyful?
LET IT GO
Give thanks unto the Lord for He is good. His mercy endures forever.
Offer my sacrifice of praise unto the Lord Jesus.