Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Preparing for the Worst

O. T. #406  "Preparing for the Worst"
November 12, 2014
Deuteronomy 19-Part 1
Thou shalt prepare thee a way...  Deuteronomy 19:2a

LET IT GLOW

My road of life has been filled with many challenges. Since I have an inflammatory disease called Crohns, there have been complications which effect my body due to it. Right now, I am trying to get the inflammation  under control because it is effecting my right eye. I have floaters with strings, which can develop a detached retina. I sure don't want to have surgery to correct it. Seeing the potential seriousness of my situation, (pun intended) I am in need of my Savior preparing and helping me along this way He has me traveling on in my journey of life. I need His strength and love to continue on this rough road. I am getting ready for the worst scenario. Would you please remember me in prayer?
Israel was told to prepare a way. continue reading with me and find out to where it led.

Moses is giving instructions to Israel concerning interpersonal and human relationships, social and community order.

If the Israelites had been faithful in following the Lord fully, then He would have enlarged their territory in the boundaries promised in the Abrahamic covenant. (Gen. 15:18-21) (MacArthur)

If that had happened, then three more cities of refuge would have been needed, making a total of nine. There was to be established three east and three west of the Jordan River, first. (We read about the cities of refuge in Numbers 35.) These cities protected a murderer while waiting for their trial. This promise depended upon the faithfulness of Israel to God, described in verse 9. They were to love God, walk in His ways, and do His commands.

We seem to want the blessings without the obedience. It doesn't work that way.

LET IT GROW

Verse 3 says, Thou shalt prepare thee a way.

Israel was to build roads to these cities of refuge.

Clarke's Commentary explains this, "The Jews inform us that the roads to the cities of refuge were made very broad, thirty-two cubits; and even, so that there should be no impediments in the way; and were constantly kept in good repair."

John the Baptist was preaching in the wilderness of Judea, saying "Repent" and spoke of Isaiah 40, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make His paths straight.  That was what John was doing, as he was in reference to Jesus, the coming Messiah.

I recall hearing in the form of a beautiful Christmas song, Isaiah 40:4, Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low; and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain: And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together; for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

In John 14:6, Jesus reminds us that He is The Way.
Jesus goes before us, preparing our way, we are not alone along the way. Sometimes the way can seem lonely, too difficult, never ending, and rough to travel. We need to turn to Jesus to help us get out our ruts, out of the fog, out of our problems and trial. His outstretched arm is not too short, friend. He can find us, reach down to us and pull us out, up, into His loving arms. He can fill us with faith and courage to continue on the path He has assigned us to travel.

Removing stumbling blocks, mending bridges, filling in the potholes could have been needful in keeping the way to the cities of refuge. They can also be methods we should use in repairing relationships. Love goes a long way in fixing things. It can require us to have humility.

Are we showing people the way to Christ? Are we assisting them on their broken road? Will we help them find the faith they need to speedily come to Jesus?

LET IT GO

Let go of my fears, doubts, struggles, lack of faith.

Trust God that His way for me is best for me and for His glory.

Stay on that narrow path of faith and don't stray off in my own direction.

Follow Jesus on my road of faith.



No comments:

Post a Comment