Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How is a Woman of Faith Supposed to Dress?

O. T. #413  "How is a Woman of Faith Supposed to Dress?"
November 25, 2014
Deuteronomy 22-Part 2
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment; for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.  Deuteronomy22:5

I am sending a happy anniversary wish to my wonderful husband of 42 years today! I love ya more today than ever and thank God that He has allowed us to serve Him together all this time.

LET IT GLOW

How is a woman of faith, a godly woman, supposed to dress? Well, this may be a hot topic for the internet. I wonder how many first time visitors will be curious enough to read this lesson. Will they even read its entirety with an open mind? Keep in mind, please, this is God's Word. I'll share my opinions at the end.

Here's some background I found concerning this topic:

Matthew Henry's commentary on the Whole Bible:
Some think this refers to the idolatrous custom of the Gentiles: in the worship of Venus, women appeared in armor, and men in women's clothes; this, as other such superstitious usages, is here said to be an abomination to the Lord. It forbids the confounding of the dispositions and affairs of the sexes; men must not be effeminate (feminine qualities), nor do the women's work in the house: nor must women be viragos (overbearing), pretend to teach or usurp authority, 1 Timothy 2:11,12. Probably, this confounding of garments had been used to gain opportunity of committing uncleanness, and is therefore forbidden: for those that would be kept from sin, must keep themselves from all occasions of it and approaches to it.
David Guzik's Commentary states:
God's commandment is to keep distinction between sexes in clothing. It's a command against dressing in a manner which deliberately blurs the lines between the sexes. The dramatic rise in cross-dressing, transvestitism, androgynous behavior and "gender-blender" behavior in our culture is a shocking trampling of this command. There is a terrible cultural price that's paid when it's pretended that there's no difference between men and women.

The MacArthur Bible Commentary instructs:
Found only here in the Pentateuch, this statue prohibited a man from wearing any item of feminine clothing or ornamentation, or a woman from wearing any item of masculine clothing or ornamentation. The same word translated "abomination" was used to describe God's view of homosexuality (Lev. 18:22; 20:13). This instance specifically outlawed transvestism. The creation-order distinctions between male and female were to be maintained without exception (Gen. 1;27). 

With that new information, let's look closer to the Hebrew meaning of some words used in our key verse:
pertaineth means something prepared, any apparatus (as an implement, utensil, dress, vessel or weapon): armor, bag, carriage, furnish, furniture, instrument; jewel; sack, stuff, thing, tool vessel, ware, weapon whatsoever;
abomination means something disgusting; an abhorrence; especially idolatry; an idol; abominable (custom, thing).

Webster's Dictionary defines abomination as extreme disgust and hatred.

Let me discuss with you what I perceive all this is saying to us in our time and culture. God has created me to be a woman to accomplish  His purposes. Therefore, His Word instructs me that I am to not dress like a man (executive suit and tie), have a job that uses those tools which a man uses (construction), nor carry weapons while dressed in military uniform. I do not want to displease my God. I want to maintain a grateful heart in His service.

Here is how I apply this verse to my life and situation. I want to honor the Lord Jesus with my life, so I want others to see Him and not me, focus on Him, not what I am wearing. Also, I do not want to cause my brother to stumble, so inspect my appearance before leaving home. Decency is a priority.
I only wear dresses and skirts to our worship services because I felt the Lord wants me to set an example as a pastor's wife and as a Christian woman.
However, I do wear jeans and elastic waisted knit pants elsewhere. Along with those types of clothing, I also try to wear a feminine top (not low cut). I watch the colors, style, and design so they are not the masculine nor floosy type. At our tire shop where I do the bookkeeping, cleaning, and scheduling, I try to maintain that look which distinguishes me as a woman, not one of the guys, even though we wear a company shirt often. A pretty blouse over that shirt helps.

I do not want to instruct you on your decision as to your clothing, for that is between you and the Lord. I just wanted to share what is on my heart and do not want to offend anyone in doing so. The main thing is honoring our God, and not drawing attention to ourselves in an unholy manner.

Feel free to share with us your convictions, opinions, likes.


LET IT GROW

Liberty Bible Commentary explains:

The word pertaineth unto (keli) in the original language is used elsewhere not only of clothes, but also of decorations or utensils used by the opposite sex. The intent of this law as to maintain the distinction between the sexes. Today, it would apply to any unisex clothing that would cloud the distinction between men and women. The New Testament recognizes such a distinction (1 Cor. 11:3) and maintains that long hair on women was a sign of that distinction (1 Cor. 11:6-14). The major difference between male and female robes was their decoration or ornamentation, not their cut. The passage does not teach against slack per se (or hats, shoes, gloves, etc.-all worn by both sexes) but against men or women wearing any item specifically ornamented for the opposite sex (a man wearing female slacks, lipstick, etc.). The wearing of slacks by ladies today is not an attempt to deceive men, although some may be immodest and improper in certain situations.

Dr. Jerry Falwell goes on to explain that the final criteria are that women look like females, that they are modest (1 Tim. 2:9-10), and that their outward appearance reflects their inner character
(1 Pet. 3:3).

Well, friends, that has been a very deep lesson for me. If you are a woman, dress and act like a woman. If you are a man, dress and act like a man. May we not rebel against what God has created us to be.

Colossians 3:17 states: and whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him.

Washing dishes, changing diapers, laundry, scrubbing toilets, waitressing, serving the boss coffee, factory work, whatever you are doing today, honor our God with your work. May God bless your efforts and attitude of love.

LET IT GO

Protect myself from the world's opinion of a woman.

Strive to be a godly woman, wife, mother, and friend.

Dress and act like a Christian woman I was intended to be.

Submit to God's will and be faithful in doing it.

Thank God I am a woman, saved by His grace.


*Here are some good books on this subject:
Good Girls don't have to Dress Bad by Shari Braendel,
A Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George,
For Women Only by Shaunti Feldhahn,
Every Woman's Battle by Shannon Ethridge,
Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver,
The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace,
Ruth by Kelly Minter

No comments:

Post a Comment