Friday, August 22, 2014

Mercy, I Have Sinned!

O. T. #349  "Mercy, I Have Sinned!"
August 22, 2014
Numbers 22-Part 3
And Balaam said unto the angel of the LORD, I have sinned...   Numbers 22:34a

LET IT GLOW

We left a donkey with an open mouth and a man with open eyes. Balaam saw Jesus standing in the road with His sword drawn. Both fell down on the ground when they encountered the Holy One.

What did Jesus say to Balaam?
  • He asked why Balaam had beaten his donkey three times. 
  • Jesus came to oppose Balam because his path was a reckless one before Him. (NIV)
  • KJV says, because thy way is perverse before Me. Perverse means to be rash, turn over, hurl (rush) headlong.
  • The donkey saw Me and turned away from Me these three times.
  • If she had not turned away, I certainly would have killed you by now, but I would have spared her.
How do we react when Jesus asks us what we have done? Are we humbled when we realize we have taken the wrong road on our Christian journey? It was not the one He wanted us to travel on. When Jesus reveals to us that the path we are on is a reckless one and our way is perverse before Him, how do we answer?
Are we so heard hearted that Jesus has to threaten us with death to get us on our knees of repentance?

Friends, I have been that rebellious. I took the wrong job, not taking the one Jesus wanted me to take. I stayed there four years, enjoying the money and prestige. Then encountered the demons of hell. I had to get out of there. I fell on my knees in repentance. God got me where He wanted me after I surrendered. I took the job I was supposed to take earlier. I encountered persecution there, but children in my classroom were saved that year. It was all worth the hardship I endured. Mercy, I have sinned! Thank you Lord for Your mercy and second chances!

I want to encourage you to not take the road of the world, but follow God's road on His journey for your life and avoid the heartaches.


LET IT GROW

How did Balaam react?
  • He admitted that he had sinned. (verse 34)
  • He said he did not realize Jesus was standing in the road to oppose him.
  • If Jesus was displeased, Balaam would go back.
Jesus told Balaam to go with the men, but speak only what He told him. (verse 35)
So Balaam went with the princes of Balak.

Did you know there are at least 7 separate occasions in the Bible when an individual has been forced to say these three words: I HAVE SINNED?
Those men were:
  1. Pharaoh (Ex. 9:27)
  2. Achan (Joshua 7:20)
  3. Saul (1 Samuel 26:21)
  4. David (2 Sam. 12:13)
  5. Job (Job 7:20)
  6. Judas (Matt. 27:4)
  7. the prodigal son (Luke 15:2)
Only three (David, Job, and the prodigal son) really meant it and experienced the forgiveness of God, it seems. (Falwell)

Balak seems to have rebuked Balaam for not immediately coming when he was summoned by Balak. Again, Balaam warns that he can only speak what God allowed him to say. (verse 38) Balak gave a great feast for Balaam and the princes (verse 40) and took him out to view Israel.

The main lesson here is to find the will of God and obey it, regardless of personal desires or subsequent circumstances.  (Wiersbe)

In the next two chapters, we will discuss the four visions God gave Balaam concerning Israel.


LET IT GO

Set aside my wants, desires, way of doing God's will and follow Him.

Repent whenever I have rebelled and gone my own way.

Admit I have sinned, seeking God's forgiveness.

Surrender to God's will.

Trust Him through the consequences.

Pray for others and encourage them when they go through the same thing.

Lovingly point them to Jesus.



No comments:

Post a Comment