Monday, August 18, 2014

I am so Excited!!!

O. T. #345  "I am so Excited!!!
August 18, 2014
Numbers 21-Part 3
Gather the people together and I will give them water. The Israel sang this song, Spring up, O well; sing ye unto it.  Numbers 21:16c-17

LET IT GLOW

I was so excited that I could hardly speak! I won two free tickets plus dinner, to hear one of my favorite authors speak on her new book. It is Lysa TerKeurst. I was one of the designated callers on our local Christian radio, who offered the prize. (If I have already told this, please forgive me.) Did I say I was excited! And get this, the place where she will appear is only 20 miles from me.
Let me back up. I had heard about this special offer the week before. So I told the Lord that I would buy me a ticket if He would  let me win so I could take a friend, free. Oh, did I mention it was two free tickets? Yes, I am taking two of my friends with me. I have already bought my ticket, keeping my end of the agreement. What a blessing! I was singing His praises all day long.
I wonder if Israel was that excited.

Spring up O well! Israel sang this song recorded in verses 17-18. God gave Israel water. That was a time to rejoice. It had been a very long time since the children of Israel sang unto the Lord (Ex. 15:1).

Do we have those dry spells in our spiritual life and finally the well overflows. Isn't it a joyous time! Our heart sings throughout the day, without us even noticing it. Awe, blessings.

I recall a fun song we sang at camp with the children, which we called The Gush Song:
Spring up O well, down in my soul.
Spring up O well, and make me whole.
Spring up O well, and give to me,
That life abundantly.
(After each word "well", we jumped up and wave our arms and hands in the air like water is gushing out of a well.)
Gush! Gush! Gush! Gush!

Have you had a joyous time recently? Has the Lord blessed you, overflowing? Won't you share it with us?

LET IT GROW

Marching on, marching on, for Christ count everything but loss; to crown Him King, we'll toil and sing, beneath the banner of the cross. I had not thought of that song in a long while. It came to my mind when I read about Israel marching on (verses 10 to the end of chapter 21).

The death of Aaron marks the end of Israel's wanderings. From this point on (latter part of chapter 20), the nation either marched or halted, but did not wander. It should be noted here that the wilderness experience, but not the wanderings, was originally in the perfect will of God for Israel (Ex.13:17,18). (Falwell)

Little is recorded about the years spent in the wilderness, Israel waiting for the designated forty to pass, as well as those old rebellious generation. They are almost gone, except Moses is still alive and leading. Well, Israel went from wandering to warfare.
You will recall that Israel had to travel 50 extra miles, going around Edom, since the king would not allow them passage through their land. 
Also, Israel was not allowed to attack Edom, Moab, or Ammon; they were blood relatives. (Gen. 32:3; 36:6-8).


Illustrated Bible Handbook, by Lawrence O. Richards, states:
After a long southern detour to avoid Edom, Israel turns north again. Moab has also been avoided by God's command (Deut. 2:9). but now, to reach Canaan, Israel must cross the land of the Amorites. Request for free passage is made and refused. Israel destroys the Amorite army and occupies their cities. The neighboring land of Bashan is also overrun, giving Israel possession of Transjordan, the lands east of the Jordan River. A policy of total destruction of the enemy is established by God.

Verses 10-20 records Israel's marched from Mt. Hor to Mt. Pisgah, the burial sites of Aaron and later Moses. The Peak of Pisgah is where Moses got a peek at the Promised Land. The elevation of the mountain allowed Moses to view what was his dream of a lifetime, a life-fulfilling vision, as Falwell described it. What joy and peace he must have experienced as Moses saw that which God had promised so many years earlier.

Isn't it a joyful time when our wayward child finally comes home? How about when one of God's wayward children returns back to Him?

LET IT GO

Let the joy of the Lord spring up in me.

Sing His praises throughout the day.

Stand on the mountain (spiritually speaking) and see God fulfill His promises.



No comments:

Post a Comment