Monday, December 30, 2013

Sewing on Sunday?

O.T. #198  "Sewing on Sunday?"
Dec. 30, 2013
Exodus 20-Part 5
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.  Exodus 20:8

LET IT GLOW

As a young adult, I would sometimes sew at my sewing machine on Sundays. It was a relaxing hobby for me while the preschool children took naps. I had a deacon's wife scold me for such an activity. But to me, it was not a sinful act at the time. Now, I don't have the energy for such an activity and it would be work for me and I don't do it. Come to think about it, I don't do it any other day of the week either.  What does the fourth commandment say about this?

Every seventh day belonged to the Lord and would not be a work day, but one set apart (holy) for rest and for time devoted to the worship of Yahweh. The term Sabbath is derived from "to rest or cease from work." The historical precedent fro such a special observance was the creation week; a span of time equal to what man copied weekly in practice.  (MacArthur)

Deuteronomy 5:12-13 says, Keep the Sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee. Six days thou shalt labor, and do all thy work.

It is taken for granted that the Sabbath was instituted before; we read of God's blessing and sanctifying a seventh day from the beginning (Gen. 2:3) so that this was not the enacting of a new law, but the reviving of an old law.  (Matthew Henry)

How was the Sabbath to be observed?
  • It was to be observed on the seventh day, after working six days.
  • They were to do no work in their callings or worldly business.
  • They were to make it a different day from the others.
  • All the family, children and servants, as well as the husband and wife were to observe it.
  • Even strangers (Gentiles) were to observe the Sabbath day. (Is. 56:6-7).
The Israelites were set aside the Sabbath day for worship and rest. Do we do that on our Sabbath day?

LET IT GROW

Sunday is not the Israelites' Sabbath (Friday 6 p.m. to Saturday 6 p.m.). Most early Christians worshiped on that day (Acts 20:7, 1 Cor. 16:2). However, as Christians, we honor Jesus' resurrection by worshiping on Sunday, the first day of the week. It is the new pattern of the dispensation of grace that we worship on Sunday. Experience teaches us that it is best for our bodies if we have a day of rest for strength renewal. Our soul needs renewal, also.

Colossians 2 and Romans 14-15 teach that believers should not judge one another with reference to holy days or Sabbaths. To say that a person is lost or unspiritual for not keeping the Sabbath is to go beyond the bounds of Scripture.  (Wiersbe)

Personally, I need the time set apart from my regular routine of the week for rest and relaxation. Now, I have found that I need worship for my soul to be rejuvenated for the week ahead. Fellowship with other believers is needful, too. I realize there are times beyond their control that people cannot make it to a worship service, but that should not make this a habitual practice.

Our God and Savior deserves and desires to be worshiped. He should be praised and His Word studied. Of course, this practice can be continued daily.

Are we pleasing the Lord with our activities on Sunday? I try to do my regular shopping on other days, but we eat out on Sundays, too. So, perhaps it is best to seek the Lord in this matter. I don't want to be like the Pharisees and neglect the needs of others. (Jesus fed his disciples.) Yet, I want to honor Jesus with my life. You decide for yourself concerning this matter, friend.

LET IT GO

Worship the Lord Jesus Christ on His day, Sunday, known as The Lord's Day.

Set aside time on Sunday to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment