Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Never Enough Time

O.T. #186  "Never Enough Time"
Dec. 11, 2013
Exodus 18-Part 3
...and they shall bear the burden with thee.  Exodus 18:22e

LET IT GLOW

Is there ever enough time in December to get done all that you want to do for the holidays? I have already trimmed the tree after dragging it and those tubs of decorations out of the storage building before the snow hit. Yeah! I have my Christmas decorations up throughout the house. Awe! (Each year gets fewer because I have to put them away.) Plans for parties and gifts for friends, homemade candy, breads, have been made. (Cookies are on the agenda.) Yipee! Now as soon as the snow melts, I am off to fight the traffic and crowded stores for the family gift shopping. (My Rhode Island family's package is ready for mailing.) Yes! Oh dear, the Christmas cards have not been signed, addressed, nor mailed. Ugh! Why not just send my best wishes by way of Facebook and email? I'm tired! Wait a minute-where's the nativity scene? Where is Jesus in all of this? Hmmm.
Was Moses in the same boat as all of us mothers, grandmothers, wives, and employees or boses?

Moses was wearing himself out helping these former slaves learn how to live together as children of God. There were long lines waiting for his help, wisdom, and godly counsel. It was a manager's job, not salaried. He was working from morning until night, coming home exhausted, I'm sure. The people were waiting in long lines, probably impatient. It took an outsider to point out the problem and solution for Moses. Shall we look into it?

Jethro, Moses' father in law, brought family of his wife and two sons back to Moses after all the plagues were over, the Red Sea crossed, and they journeyed into Jethro's neck of the woods. Wait, there were no woods, only desert. After Jethro's conversion  to belief in Israel's God Jehovah, Moses went to work.
What did Jethro recommend to Moses as sound advice?
  1. Train new leadership to help with the actual judging (verse 20);
  2. choose only capable, God-fearing, qualified men (verse 21);
  3. personally handle only the more important matters. (Falwell)
Moses was robbing others of an opportunity to serve the Lord. He was also doing a disservice to his people, who otherwise could have had their issues resolved much sooner.  (Blackaby)

I know, it is sometimes easier to just do it yourself. That way you know it will get done, on time, as needed, without complaining, and worry. However, I have also learned that I am not superwoman. Oh, I used to be, but have retired, and handed it over to the younger ones. Yes, I used to work outside the home and maintain the home, teach Sunday School, lead the church choir programs, youth activities, fill in as pianist when needed, you name it, Miss Linda did it. Now I do a few things in my church, only work one or days a week, and have a hard time keeping up with household chores. I think you call it age.
How about you?

The only reason to perform ministry is that God clearly tells you it is His will. When you become aware of a need, do not automatically assume God wants you to meet it. If you are feeling overwhelmed by all that you are doing, you are probably doing more than God has asked. Pray carefully about the assignments you take on, so that you don't rob yourself and others of God's best.
(Blackaby)

Sounds good to me.

Where did I put  my CD's of Christmas carols and songs last year during the clean up? Just turn on the Christian radio. Awe, isn't it the most wonderful time of the year? Celebrating the birth of our Savior, His love and forgiveness.

LET IT GROW

Here are the details that Jethro spoke of as a solution to Moses' exhaustion and timeless problem:
  • Teach the qualified men the decrees and laws. (ordinances)
  • Show them the way to live. (way to walk)
  • Teach them the duties they are to perform. (work to do)
  • Appoint capable men as officials over groups of 1,000's, 100's, 50's, and 10's.
  • Have them serve as judges for the people at all times, deciding the simple cases.
  • Bring every difficult case to Moses.

Who are the qualified men?
  • fear God
  • are trustworthy
  • hate dishonest gain
Result:
*They would make Moses' load lighter because they share it with him, bearing the burden.
*Moses would be able to stand the strain.
*All the people will go home satisfied.

The new leadership training program was approved and put into action, and Jethro departed into his own land. (Falwell)

Sounds good to me-everyone is happy and no one is exhausted. Distribute the deeds. Good advice. Are we going to heed it? Today is not too soon.

Stimulation: If Moses did what Jethro recommended and God so commands then...

We have heard it, but will we do it? Can you lend me a hand?

Efficiency is increased not only by what is accomplished but also by what is relinquished. (Swindoll)

LET IT GO

Ask for help.
Let it go.

Don't be so prideful that I must do it all myself.
Let it go.

Ask God what His will is for me so I do my best for Him.
Let it go.

Celebrate the birth of my Savior. Joy to the World, the Lord Jesus is come!




No comments:

Post a Comment