Dec. 17, 2013
Exodus 19-Part 4
And ye shall be unto Me a kingdom of priests and an holy nation. Exodus 19:6a
LET IT GLOW
The LORD God gave Israel three titles in this chapter: a peculiar treasure, a kingdom of priests, and a holy nation.
As a peculiar treasure, they were valued and esteemed above others.
As a kingdom of priests, they were near to God as they were employed in His immediate service and in intimate communion with their God.
What did the priests do?
- They offer blood sacrifices for the peoples' sins. (Lev. 1:5-11)
- Aaron was the first high priest of Israel; his sons served as priests; the men of the Levi tribe were their priests.
- A counsel of 24 priests served in the Tabernacle.
- They were not allotted land in the Promised Land when the land was distributed among the 12 tribes of Israel. (Deut. 18)
- The High Priests made the atonement for all the congregation, others priests, and himself once a year on the Day of atonement.
- The priests served as judges in Israel. (Deut. 17:18)
- They were allowed to eat the offerings to the LORD by fire. (Deut. 18:1)
- They carried the Ark of the Covenant-in front as the Israelites moved in the wilderness, over Jordan River, around Jericho.
- They ministered in the house of God. (Neh. 10:36)
- Aaron, Eli, and Samuel were high priests.
- They presented the meat, drink, and grain offerings in the Old Testament times.
- They read the Law in the Temple in New Testament times. (Matt. 12:5)
- They betrayed Jesus. (Matt. 20:18-20)
Christian believers in Jesus believe He is our High Priest, interceding for us as He sits at the right hand of God, making intercession. He offered His own blood as the Lamb of God, for our sins.
LET IT GROW
Do we go to Jesus, confessing our sins and asking forgiveness of our sins through Jesus, and praying for others to Him?
1 Peter 2:5 says, Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
1 Peter 2:9 states, But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of Him who hath called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.
Hebrews 5 tells us that Jesus is our High Priest after the order of Melchisedec. (verse 10)
That is why the wise men brought gifts of frankincense to Jesus.
Will you set aside time in your day to pray for others and yourself? Will you tell others about Jesus, our High Priest?
LET IT GO
Believer in Jesus my High Priest.
Submit to Jesus Christ, offering myself as His servant.
Pray for others to believe in Jesus as their Savior.