Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Red Berries on Holly Bushes

O.T. # 181  "Red Berries on Holly Bushes"
Dec. 4, 2013
Exodus 17-Part 2
Is the LORD among us or not?  Exodus 17:7d

LET IT GLOW

(Sorry so late, but my computer erased everything yesterday and when I realized it, my internet connection was late.)

I think I have seen a few people turn green lately. You know, green like the Grench who stole Christmas, green like Oscar the Grouch, green with envy. Don't they know that they can become green like the pastures in Psalm 23, green like herbs in Genesis 1 and 9,  green like the plants in Job 8, green as the hills in 1 Kings 14, or a green tree as Hosea 14:8?
I have green sticker holly bushes in front of my house. They almost died one summer when it was so hot and dry, but they survived. They have bright red berries on them. The green bushes look pretty when the grass is brown and leaves have fallen off the trees. The red berries remind me of the drops of Jesus' blood that fell from the cross when He was crucified. They make me grateful for all He did because He loved me. Seeing the holly bushes makes me want to be green like them with red berries, having the blood of Jesus sprinkled in my heart to make it clean.

Ready to travel with the Israelites? It was a month or so later when the Israelites had no water to drink upon their reaching Rephidim in the desert. What did they do? They complained to Moses, again. He goes to God in prayer. He was afraid that the people might stone him. God had Moses take some elders and his staff to the rock. In our last study, we found that the rock represents Jesus Christ and His death on the cross.

In verse 6, the LORD said that He would stand before Moses upon the rock in Horeb. When Moses smote the rock, water would come out of it and the people would drink. Moses obeyed. I'm sure it happened just as the LORD said it would. He never lies, for Jesus is The Way, The Truth, The Life John 14:6).

By these words of verses 5 and 6, the LORD reinforced both the position of Moses as leader and Himself as present to act. He answered the people's charge against Moses and their underlying challenge of His presence. In fact, He intervened miraculously. (MacArthur)

Do we ever get thirsty- thirsty for the Word, thirsty for Jesus, for His love? He is among us just as He as with the children of Israel, his beloved children. He is waiting to quench the thirst of your soul, friend, if you will come to Jesus with your empty cup, soul.

LET IT GROW

Moses called the name of the two places Massah and Meribah because of the Israelites quarreled and because they tested the LORD, saying, "Is the LORD among us or not?" (verse 7 NIV)

Your word nerd had to look up these two desert place.
According to The MacArthur Bible Commentary, Massah means testing and Meribah means contending.
In Strong's Concordance, they mean testing and quarrel.
Liberty Bible Commentary says they mean tempting and striving.

Whichever, I don't want to be contending, quarreling, or striving with God.
As I hear people's complaints, I ask myself, "Why are they grumbling to me? Do I look like a complaint box?" Well, then I wonder if they need someone to vent their frustrations to and trust me or if they merely want me to pass it on so something will be done about it. Either way, I am going to stop this. It tends to make me a grouch. People don't like to be around grouches.

I ask you again, "What did Moses do when they complained, to the point of him being afraid for his life?" Now that is bad. What Moses did was to take it to the Lord. His faith was not wavering, was it?

How's our faith?

LET IT GO

Cut out those thorny complaints in my heart and replace them with drops of Jesus' blood to cleanse me.

Replace those grumblings with words of gratitude.

Let Jesus fill my emptiness.

Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord Jesus.





No comments:

Post a Comment