Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Singing

O.T. #173  "Singing"
Nov. 20, 2013
Exodus 15-Part 1
I will sing to the LORD, for He is highly exalted. Exodus 15:1b

LET IT GLOW

For some reason or other, I had stopped singing in the church choir. I was singing in the pew. Then the Lord convicted me of not using my voice for Him. Now I am practicing for the Christmas choir cantata. Soon I will be able to join the choir singing praises to Jesus my Savior.
When things are going good or a prayer is answered, a song naturally comes out of my mouth. (My sister's cancer is not in her lymph nodes.) So why wouldn't it be a natural thing for Moses, Miriam, and the children of Israel to sing a hymn of praise and thanksgiving to God? After all, He delivered His children from slavery after 400 years. These Hebrews now feared the Lord, believed in Him, and Moses, God's servant (14:31). This chapter is written differently by Moses.

Liberty Bible Commentary  describes it this way:
The theme of this psalm written in Hebrew poetry is God. His character and great works are manifest. The character of Hebrew poetry is to repeat each phrase or line in similar words in the next line, or to contrast two thoughts. Most of this poem is in synonymous parallel structure. It is helpful to read this poem in one of the versions that place the phrases in a blank verse type arrangement (as ASV, NASB, NIV).
I began reading chapter 15 in the New International Version. Then I noticed it was divided into verses of a song like this:

1. The LORD is...
  • highly exalted,
  • my strength,
  • my song,
  • my salvation,
  • my God,
  • a warrior,
  • named LORD,
  • the One who hurled Pharaoh's officers, chariots, his army, horse and rider in the Red Sea.
2. The LORD's right hand...
  • was majestic in power,
  • shattered the enemy,
  • threw down those who opposed Him,
  • unleashed His burning anger, consumed them like stubble.
3. The LORD's nostrils blasted...
  • piled up the waters,
  • stood the surging waters firm like a wall,
  • congealed the deep waters in the heart of the sea.

God is awesome. His supernatural acts are awe-inspiring. Are we thankful for all He has done for us?

LET IT GROW


4. The LORD's enemy...
  • boasted that they would pursue the Israelites,
  • they would overtake the Israelites,
  • divide the spoils,
  • would gorge themselves on them,
  • draw their sword and destroy the Israelites.
5. The LORD...
  • stretched out His hand and the earth swallowed the Egyptians,
  • lead His redeemed people in His unfailing love,
  • guided them in His strength to His holy dwelling. 
Thankfulness is foundational to the Christian life. It is a conscious response that comes from looking beyond our blessings to their source. As Christians, we have been forgiven, saved from death, and adopted as God's children. There could be no better reason for a grateful heart. Our worship, prayers, service, and daily life ought to be saturated with thanksgiving to God. (Blackaby)

LET IT GO

Sing praises to the Lord God, for He has given me life and breath.

Give Him thanks.

Exalt the Lord above all things.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment