Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Mending Fences

O.T. #42  "Mending Fences"
May 7, 2013
Genesis 21-Part 2
And it came to pass at that time, that Abimelech and Phichol the chief captain of his host
spake unto Abraham, saying, God is with thee in all that thou doest.  Genesis 21:22  KJV

LET IT GLOW

Last year, our calves were going onto our neighbor's land. He came to our house and told me
about it. We had no idea that this was happening, because they have trees on their side. I
apologized and the fence was mended. Do you mend fences that are broken down with your neighbors? I'm talking about relationships here. I like to be on good terms with my neighbors.
Who is my neighbor? Neighbor means the one near or close to, according to Young's
Concordance. In Matthew 5, Jesus tells us to Love our neighbor and enemies.
Shall we see what's happening to Abraham?

In chapters 21 and 22, we read of three tests that came into the life of Abraham.
1. A test from the family (21:1-21) concerning Isaac and Ishmael. Abraham had to send his son
    Ishmael away due to conflict and jealousy of Isaac.
2. A test from the neighbors, Abimelech and his servants over a well to water the animals
    (21:22-34)
3. A test from the Lord, (22:1-24) dealing with Abraham's love for God and Isaac.
[Resource: Wiersbe's Expository Outlines on the Old Testament by Warren W. Wiersbe]

In 21:22, an unsaved neighbor, Abimelech, recognized Abraham's relationship with God-God is
with thee in all that thou doest.

Do others see that I am serving the Lord Jesus? Is righteousness, love, humility, fruit of the Spirit
evident to my neighbors and yours? Am I surrendered to Him in all I do, at home, at work, at
church, in my community?

Hebrews 13:5, Joshua 1:5 say, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.  
What a promise!

LET IT GROW

So the two guys, Abraham and Abimelech, made a covenant with each other at a place they
called Beersheba, which means well of the seven, or of the oath. It probably means seven, and
the closeness of the root meaning to swear would not go unnoticed. (Falwell)

Beersheba is about 45 miles southwest of Jerusalem.

Abraham set seven ewe lambs aside by themselves as a witness that he dug the well there and
their covenant. He planted a grove of tamarisk trees.

This tree functioned as a reminder of the treaty between two, well-known contemporaries, and
also as a marker of one of Abraham's worship sites, the Everlasting God (my emphasis). A
divine name appropriately signifying to Abraham the unbreakable and everlasting nature of the covenant God had made with him, notwithstanding his being only a resident alien and a
sojourner in the land (23:4).  (MacArthur)

This treaty guaranteed the proper control and sharing of the region's limited water supply and equitable treatment in the future.
How do we settle problems in our neighborhood or business? Is it in a Christian way? Am I
willing to compromise when needful?
1 Corinthians 14:40 says, Let all things be done decently and in order.

LET IT GO

Release my pride and mend the fences with my neighbors.

Compromise.

Love my neighbors and my enemies.

Make sure God is with me in all I do.

Thank You Lord Jesus that You never leave me nor forsake me.









No comments:

Post a Comment