Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Hot Pots

O. T. #1907  "Hot Pots"

March 23, 2021

Ezekiel 24

LET IT GLOW

I enjoy reading the Psalms. I find encouragement there. How about you? I am glad that folks have put them to music for me to remember the promises God has made to His children.

Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the show of Thy wings. (Psalm 17:8)

I will love Thee, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies. (Ps. 18:1-3)

As for God, His way is perfect: the Word of the LORD is tried: He is a buckler to all those that trust in Him. (Ps. 18:30)

The LORD liveth; and blessed be my rock; and let the God of my salvation be exalted. (Ps. 18:46)

On whom are you relying? Who is your rock, strength, fortress, high tower, and salvation? I hope we can all say that God is ours.

LET IT GROW

One last parable is given to Ezekiel to tell to those in exile with him in Babylon. He was told to write down a specific and important day when he received the Word from God. (verse 1) It is recorded in 2 Kings 25:1, when the king of Babylon began the final siege upon Jerusalem (January 15, 588 B.C.). So the parable was extremely timely. (King Zedekiah reigned in Jerusalem at the time it occurred.)Although, the prophet was some 300 miles away from the city.

What was the message of the pot with scum (rust), using the New Living Translation?

  • Put a pot on the fire, and pour in some water. (verse 3)
  • Fill it with choice pieces of meat-rump, shoulder, and all the most tender cuts. (verse 4)
  • Fuse only the best sheep from the flock, and heap fuel on the fire beneath the pot.
  • Bring the pot to a boil, and cook the bones along with the meat. (verse 5)
  • Take the meat out in random order, for no piece is better than another. (verse 6c)
  • Heap on the wood. Let the fire roar to make the pot boil. (verse 10)
  • Cook the meat with many spices, and afterward burn the bones. (verse 10)
  • Now set the empty pot on the coals. Heat it red hot. Burn away the filth and corruption. (verse 11)

What was the meaning of this parable? Judah's people had frustrated God's every effort to purify them of their uncleanness, so He had no recourse but to bring judgment. (verses 12-14) It was an 18 month siege in which Jews died from famine. When this happened that Jerusalem and its people, along with the Temple were destroyed, then they would know that the LORD is God.

Then word came to the exiles that this happened. There were 71 priests and leaders, along with Ezra that were taken exile to Babylon, along with the treasures in the Temple. Sadly, the other people were killed. Jerusalem was a smoking ruin.

Is God trying to purify us through difficulties and troubles? When we face tough times, all Him to burn the sin from our life. Allow problems to be opportunities for our faith to grow. May we take time to reexamine our lives so that we will do what really counts.

A person who escaped the destruction of Jerusalem came to Ezekiel in Babylon and report the story. Ezekiel was to be silent until the captives arrived where he was. Then he could speak of Judah (3:26-27) this took about 2 years.(33:21) (There was no need to preach judgment for it had come.) Ezekiel did speak to other nations, beginning with chapter 25.

LET IT GO

Purify our heart of its sins, O Lord.

Give strength to the hurting.

May Your peace flow through us as we trust in You, Jesus.

May Your presence give us songs in our hearts as we journey to heaven.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment