Friday, March 26, 2021

Comfort, Restoration, Provisions

O. T. #1910  "Comfort, Restoration, Provisions"

March 26, 2021

Ezekiel 25-Part 2

LET IT GLOW

Psalm 23 gives us reassurance:

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou prepares a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Is God our Great Shepherd of us sheep? Jesus Christ lays down His life for His sheep. (John 10:11) Through His wounds we are healed. (1Peter 2:24) If we have gone astray, then we can return to Him. (1 Peter 2:25) It is because Jesus knows His sheep. that we are welcomed. (John 10:14)

David, the author of this psalm, had God meet his needs that were:

  • spiritual needs-He refreshes and restores;
  • directional needs-when we wander off the right path, He brings us back through His Word and Spirit;
  • emotional needs-no need to fear, for with His rod and staff, He beats off the enemies and pulls us to safety, as well as giving us grace and mercy as we go through the valleys;
  • physical needs-food and healing are provided to the point where God's provisions overflow;
  • Then goodness and mercy pursue us so we may eternally dwell in the house of the LORD forever. [Resource: The Tony Evans Bible Commentary]

Does He providing for your needs so you lack nothing? If He has saved us for eternity, then He will provide for us, maybe not all we want, but what He sees we need. My greatest comfort is that Jesus is with me sharing His love, mending fences of relationships, healing my broken heart time and time again.

LET IT GROW

There were  7 nations that fell under God's judgment, as Ezekiel prophesied, is found in chapters 25-32. (besides Israel and Judah) They had despised and mistreated Israel. They were bad, nomadic people descended from Lot and his younger daughter. (Gen. 19) In Deuteronomy 23:3, the Ammonites and Moabites hired Baalam to curse God's people after they left Egypt. That is some background about those people.

The first mentioned are the Ammonites:

  • They dwelt on the other side of the Jordan River, in the northeast of Jerusalem.
  • They gloated over the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of the Temple.
  • They were happy when the land of Israel lay desolate and the people were taken into captivity. (verse3)
  • After the northern kingdom of Israel was conquered by Assyria, the Ammonites seized their land.(Jeremiah 49:1)
  • They grabbed whatever possessions they could after the Babylonians had victory in Judah. (verse 4)
  • Their own land would be invaded as God directed and they would perish. (verses 5, 7, 28-32)
  • Thou shalt know that I am the LORD. (verse 7)

Jeremiah 49:6 tells us that a remnant returned to their land, as the Lord restored their fortunes.

Later, they obstructed Nehemiah's work in restoring all in the Judean land.(Neh. 4:1)

Are we happy or judgmental when someone falls into sin or bad things happen to them because of their sins? Do we take advantage of a brother or sister that is knocked down? We should be careful in thinking someone deserves what they got after mistreating us. We are told to pray for our enemies. One day we might be in a similar situation.

LET IT GO

Thank You Jesus for being my Good Shepherd.

For restoring me when I fail You or leave Your will, I praise You.

You are with me when I fear, comfort me in my valleys, and bless me with my cup overflowing.

Thank You for goodness and mercy.

I know that I will dwell in Your house eternally.

Such love undeserved!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment