Thursday, April 2, 2020

What's in a Name?

O. T. #1661  "What's in a Name?"
April 2, 2020
Isaiah 48-Part 3

Verses of Encouragement:
Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine. (43:1)

Fear not: for I am with thee... (43:5a)

Great peace have they which love Thy law: and nothing shall offend them. (Ps. 119:165)

LET IT GLOW

For mine own sake, even for mine own sake, will I do it: for how should My name be polluted? and I will not give my glory unto another. (verse 11)

Here, God is speaking about choosing Judah for the furnace of affliction. Why did He do it, send His children, Judah, into captivity for 70 years?
  • It was for God's own sake, for He demands being number one in their lives. Judah was told to not have idols before Him.
  • He does not stand for His name being polluted nor His reputation tarnished.
  • God will not give His glory to another. In order for Judah to not give credit to their gods of idolatry the credit for rescuing them from captivity, He proclaims this.

What's in a name? It is very important to God.
There are a lot of words in verses 11 and 12 which need looking into, and I am just the person to do it, right?

In the Hebrew language, in which the O.T. is written, the word polluted means to profane, stain, wound.

Just last week I was shopping for groceries and these two young men walk by me. One was using my Savior's name in vain as a curse word, so that fired me up. I asked, "So you know Jesus Christ?" He mumbled something and kept on walking. They were polluting and profaning the precious name of Jesus and I could not be quiet. Perhaps his mother did not teach him to respect and love my Redeemer's name, and I stepped in. Maybe that incident made them to think about Him, if just for a second. Aren't we supposed to plant the seed, Christian, wherever we go.

Folks, God says that He will not give His glory to another. We need to honor Him wherever we go. Israel was created in order to proclaim the greatness of Him and reflect His glory, yet they did not do so.
Are we giving God the glory which He deserves?  Are we proclaiming His greatness in our life?

LET IT GROW

Hearken unto Me, O Jacob and Israel, My called: I am He; I am the first, I also am the last.
(verse 12)

Called means to call out to; address by name; renowned; renowned-a state of being widely acclaimed and highly honored.
First refers to the beginning; first in place, time, rank.
Last is to come; latter; rereward; uttermost.

Christian, we are the called out ones to be the light in the dark and fearful world. We are a chosen, unique vessel of His grace to achieve His purpose for our life.  Are we pointing others to Jesus by faith? Are we trusting in Him for our needs or are we fearful like others?
Is God first place in our life, ranking first and most important? Do we give Him the time of day?

Jesus proclaims in Revelation 22:13, I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.

There is no other way to heaven, no other Savior or Messiah, and certainly no other God. some people don't know this.

LET IT GO
Glory to God in the highest!
Thank You for calling me into a relationship with You, Jesus.
May I never pollute Your holy name.

No comments:

Post a Comment