Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Beautiful Feet

O. T. #1672  "Beautiful Feet"
April 21, 2020
Isaiah 52
How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! (Romans 10:15)

LET IT GLOW

Do you have beautiful feet? Usually, we don't think of our feet being beautiful, but with their flaws. My feet fit into a size 5 shoe. So I consider my toes as tiny and not very pretty. Oh, I know women like to paint their toenails to match their fingernails, which I do sometimes during the summer, but not very often. Mostly because of a need for feet comfort, since I don't wear sandals very often, but need supportive shoes. However, the Bible tells us that our feet are beautiful. Read on to find out what makes them beautiful.

I have a sign on my desk that reads, How beautiful are the feet that brings good news. It is in a pink frame, because for years I decorated my office in pink. The color scheme is now gray. Suppose I need to change the frame color, too. Well, I'm not sure where I found this, but the title is "Support Beautiful Feet." Then a picture of a pair of pink flip flops are below it. Probably it is from a mission magazine.
Anyway, the sign reminds me to support preachers and missionaries. Not only financially, but prayerfully and with encouraging words. What a joy it is do just that.

do you know what the word feet means in the Hebrew language? It refers to a foot (as used in walking); a step; be able to endure; journey; possession; time follow.

With so many meanings that can be applied to this word, our beautiful feet can also refer to our journey as we spread the gospel of peace, or our possessions as we bring glad tidings of good things. We may be sharing salvation through Jesus, or God's principles for our life found in His Word. Also, it could include the teaching of doctrine or God's faithfulness. How abut the sharing of our testimony of the goodness God has bestowed upon us. Giving love and forgiveness can be included. We can think of many things which pertain to where and how our feet take us to accomplish His will.

Our key verse today comes from the New Testament, which quotes Isaiah 52:7. However, Paul left out the word "mountain" and the phrase "publishes salvation."

In verse 7, what  are the feet of this person bringing or publishing, that makes them beautiful feet?
  • They bring good tidings, which means to preach or carry good news.
  • The message is that of peace (shalom)
  •  and salvation (yeshu'ah), which is the basis of the name Joshua or Jesus.
When Israel (Judah) was to return to Jerusalem after 70 years of captivity in Babylon, messengers would traverse the mountains around the city to spread the good news of the return of redeemed Israel to the land (40:9 and 61:1). Paul broadened this millennial reference to the preaching of the gospel in the kingdom to include spreading the gospel of God's grace from the time of Jesus Christ on. (MacArthur)

Christ will reign personally over His kingdom during this time.
Are you and I bringing good news of peace and salvation found in Jesus Christ? If so, then our feet are beautiful.

LET IT GROW

The Jews became the servants of their foreign conquerors, who paid nothing for Israel, so the Lord will redeem Israel gratuitously from sin. (verse 1)
Like a servant girl, Jerusalem would be trodden under the gentile nations. But God would forgive them of their sins of idolatry. What would He give the Jews?
  • strength to put on
  • and beautiful garments (robes);
  • they were told to shake off the dust of her captivity;
  • loosen the bands around their neck;
  • she will be redeemed without money.
As explained previously, a redeemer in the O.T. was a kinsman who was a free man.  He was willing to pay the price to redeem one from slavery, orphanhood, or widowhood. We read of this happening in the book of Ruth. There, Boaz was the  picture of our Kinsman-Redeemer, Jesus Christ, who paid our debt for our sins.
Is Jesus your Redeemer, too, dear one? (I know that I often ask that, but we do have visitors around the world who come to here, so I sure want to share the gospel with them.)

LET IT GO
Lead my feet where you want them to go today, sharing the good news of salvation in Jesus Christ.
Make my feet beautiful for You.
Thank You, Jesus, for redeeming my soul, making me Your child.

No comments:

Post a Comment