Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Family History

N.T. #2 "Family History"

Feb. 8, 2023

Matthew 1-Part 2 

Has your family researched your family history? My sister and mom did on her side of my family. They found out that my great-grandmother was a full-blooded Cherokee Indian. Her tribe branched off north into Missouri, so we are not considered part of the tribe in Oklahoma. She was adopted by a doctor and his wife. I am proud of my heritage. Mom did not speak about her much. she was a remarkable woman, became postmaster in her town. Yet that doesn't matter in the scope of things. What does matter is that I asked Jesus to save me when I was 16. I believe Jesus is God's Son, my Savior, Interceder, and Redeemer. Do you know him, friend? 

 TITLE

Although Matthew is not mentioned until chapter 9, he is the writer of this Gospel. His name means gift of the Lord." 

AUTHOR

Matthew was one of the 12 apostles, where he called himself a publican, which is a "tax collector" (10:3)

BACKGROUND

Matthew wrote this Gospel after the ascension of Jesus, but before A.D.70. It was during Nero's reign, who executed Paul and Peter in 64-68 A.D. Nero blamed the great fire in Rome on Christians and tortured thousands in 64 A.D. The Jews revolted against the Romans; Jerusalem was captured and destroyed in 70 A.D. (Only one wall survived and still stands today, where the Jews pray at the "Wailing Wall.")

PURPOSE

To show that Jesus is the Messiah, the Savior, and King prophesied by the Hebrew prophets, is Matthew's purpose of writing. Matthew quotes the O.T. about 93 times. 

All this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, saying... (This is written 16 times by Matthew.

Matthew first traced the genealogy of Jesus on Joseph's side of the Jewish family. However, Joseph was only the legal father of Jesus. It was the miraculous conception of Christ by the Holy Ghost, part of the  Trinity. We will read about it later in this chapter.

It is by faith that we believe the Word of God is true. What matters is that I've got Jesus and heaven waiting for me.

1 comment:

  1. Knwoing some things about your family can be wonderful or... not so much. My mom comes from a long line of missionaries, teachers, etc.. but also from a member of the notorious Dillinger Gang, an out of wedlock son of FDR (yes, FDR) and General Custar. My mom is also 1/8 Indian (can't remember which tribe). Best part of the lineage is those who I will get to meet in Heaven.

    ReplyDelete