Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Needing Two Hours of Patience

O. T. #1277  "Needing Two Hours of Patience"
Sept. 4, 2018
Psalm 78


LET IT GLOW

Talk about a day of trying my patience, trying to provoke me to anger. I had one on Friday. I needed to pick up a few things at the store before the three-day weekend came. So, I decided to go by the shop and have lunch with my husband before getting them. Folks, I waited 2 1/2 hours to eat. People kept coming in, wanted their cars and tires readied for their weekend. Well, I passed that test, busying myself with things while I waited patiently, but not happy. And we had a nice lunch together.

 Then, I gathered up my needed items at the store and waited to check out. Oh, boy, did I pick the wrong checker. She had trouble getting the couple checked out in front of me. (That should have been a clue to me.) Well, in the meantime, the guy shared that he just had hand surgery, the guy behind me shared that he had had foot surgery a while back, and I nodded and listened to them. Guess they needed some sympathy.

Finally, it was my turn to check out. Well, she had trouble getting the price on the bananas and roast, so others came to help her. I just wanted to go home after what had happened to me previously. To top it off, she could not get the machine to accept my check for payment. I wanted to cry. I wanted to get home. So a lady rescued me by taking me to the service desk and checked me out. I ended up paying with a credit card. It exhausted me, holding my tongue. (I did suggest that the gal needed more training and I should get my bananas free, after waiting 20 minutes to check out.) I saw that she was being replaced when I walked out. Poor gal. I tried to be nice in my conversation, but it was hard. Yep, Friday was a day of testing my patience. Two hours of testing was all I could handle.
Israel did that to God, too.

Looking at our chapter, this is the first and  longest of Historical Psalms. It gives history lessons for the Israeli parents to teach their children about their gracious God. Hopefully, they would not be rebellious like the previous parents, but faithful, as well as teach their children of His faithfulness.

So the purpose is shown in verses 4 and 7,
We will not hide them from their children, showing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, and His strength, and His wonderful works that He hath done.

That they might set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep His commandments.

This old world will pass away, maybe after we have passed away. Are we preparing others for that time? I am looking forward to a new heaven and new earth. There will be no sin there. What a glorious place it will be.

Are our children and grandchildren hearing us praise the Lord?
Are we telling them of His strength and wonderful works He has done?
Are we setting our hope in God?
Are we keeping His commands?

LET IT GROW

The Lord was furious and angry at Israel during Moses' time. Verse 22 explains why: Because they believed not in God, and trusted not in His salvation.

Israel tried God's patience over and over again. They complained with the provisions He gave them. The God who parted the Red Sea could give the water in abundance; the One who fed them during their time in Egypt as slaves was prepared to feed them in the wilderness. They walked by sight instead of faith. We read of God giving manna crackers each morning and gushing water form a rock. What was wrong with those people?
They didn't believe and trust in God. At least not to the point of totally depending upon Him for their daily provisions.

In evil unbelief and ingratitude, like lustful animals, the people clamored for more.(Falwell)

God wants our heart to love only Him, to be thankful for what He has provided for us, and believe He can do all things. Those are the things which please God.
What is wrong with us? Unbelief holds us back from doing what He wants us to do. Am I right? Guilty here.

LET IT GO

Honor God in all I do.
Be compassionate to others while I wait.
Take advantage of the situation to witness His love.
Set my hope in God.


No comments:

Post a Comment