Monday, July 23, 2018

Rich, Whipped Crean


O. T. #1246 "Rich, Whipped Cream"
July 23, 2018
Psalm 51-Part 2

LET IT GLOW

When mom wanted fresh, rich whipped cream, she didn't go to the freezer section of the local grocery store. She had dad skim over the top of the milk bucket for it. When I was little, dad used to milk cows for a living on our farm. So you might say, we had the cream of the crop to enjoy on top of fresh strawberries. He would bring it into the house, then mom would beat it with the old mixer for a while. I still remember the rich flavor it had. Nothing like it. Mm good.  Certainly not that which comes in the white and blue container. 

Well, I said all of that to say, we still have some cream of the Word to enjoy today. Although this chapter was written as a result of David's sinning and repentance, we can scrape some rich encouragement from it. So out of the 20 verses, I am going to pick a few that will stick to our ribs.

Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of Thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. (verse 1)

David had been confronted by the Prophet Nathan about his sins of adultery and murder. He had been caught. What could he do but admit and confess them? David was pleading for God's mercy, which he felt so unworthy to receive. Yet he quickly asked God to blot his sins out of God's record book.
We know it is the blood of Jesus which He shed on the cross that can do so.

Against Thee, Thee only, have I sinned and done this evil in thy sight... (verse 4a)

There is no private sin, for God sees all. Regardless of who we hurt with our sin, God is hurt worse.

...wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. (verse 7b)
Create in me a clean heart, O God: and renew a right spirit within me. (verse 10)

Although we live about 3 miles as the crow flies from a coal power plant, snow (when we get it that is) falls and accumulates on the ground white and clean. David is not speaking of being clean from a bath or his clothing being washed, but his soul being cleansed from it sins.

Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation; and uphold me with Thy free spirit. (verse 12)

David's heart desired to walk hand in hand with his Creator again. He needed to obtain the favor of his God.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise. (verse 17)

The Mosaic law allows no reconciliation or sacrifice for the sins of adultery and murder. David correctly recognizes that the only acceptable sacrifices are a broken spirit and a contrite heart. (Falwell)

Contrite means to collapse (physically or mentally).

When we come to God confessing our sins, it should be with a broken spirit, one that is collapsed. We agree with Him, naming our sins, seeking His forgiveness in desperation. God does not despise broken things, even though people do. 1 John 1:9 reassures us of His faithfulness to forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness (when we confess our sins).
Praise the Lord Jesus!

LET IT GROW

The shame and embarrassment of our sins can beat us, like the cream, but we can turn into something sweet and rich in faith like the whipped cream.

Then will I teach transgressors thy ways, and sinners shall be converted unto thee. (verse 13)

David was ready to teach transgressors the ways of God. He desired to help them to learn from his mistakes so they would not go through all he had. After receiving the joy of God's salvation, David was ready to sing praises to his merciful God.

... and my tongue shall sing aloud of Thy righteousness. (verse 14c)

When we've blown it, God can still restore us and help us move on in His will. He gives us hope and healing, puts back together the broken heart. He can still use us after we have disobeyed. God still blesses after disobedience. He gave David another son, Solomon who became the wisest man and king of Israel.

Are we reaching out to those in need of God's forgiveness and restoration?
When they hit bottom, it is time to look up, to God in repentance. Then we can be an overcomer.

LET IT GO

Break me, cleanse me, restore me, a sinner, O Righteous God, my Savior and King Jesus.
Help me to overcome temptations to sin.
Direct me as I teach others Your Word.
Accept my praises to Your name.

No comments:

Post a Comment