Monday, July 30, 2018

Difficulties and Doves

O. T. #1251  "Difficulties and Doves"
July 30, 2018
Psalm 56

LET IT GLOW

Let me warn you, today's lesson gets deep spiritually, but it teaches us a great truth. Yes, indeed, David's words are like arrows to my heart. I fail and fall short so often, but God's grace is there to pick me up. While in my difficulties, I fail to be as silent as a dove.

Matthew Henry's Commentary has a lot to say about this chapter:
It seems by this, and many other psalms, that even in times of greatest troubles and distress, David never hung his harp upon the willow-trees, never unstrung it or laid it by; but that when his dangers and fears were greatest he was still in tune for singing God's praises. He was in imminent peril when he penned this psalm, at least when he meditated it; yet even then his meditation of God was sweet. There is something peculiar in the title; it is upon Jonath-elem-rechokim, which signifies the silent dove afar off. David was driven from his nest, from the sanctuary, and forced to wander afar off seeking shelter in distant countries; he was like the doves of the valleys, mourning and melancholy; but silent, neither murmuring against God nor railing at the instruments of his trouble; herein a type of Christ, who was as a sheep, dumb before the shearers and a pattern to Christians, who, wherever they are and whatever injuries are done them, ought to be as silent doves.

There is a special title given to six specific psalms-16, 56, 58, 59, 60. They are entitles "A Michtam of David."   This is called a Mitcham means a golden psalm. Also, they are called a Golden Secret, a Golden Mystery, a Messianic Psalm. The mystery is that of Christ, the Messiah to come. David's sufferings are as those which Christ would suffer, yet endure.

Falwell explains: A golden Psalm is derived from the word signifying to hide, indicating the depth of a doctrinal and spiritual truth that is a mystery.

Are we as silent doves among the strangers, enemies, prosecutors?
Let me tell you, friends, this psalm really hit home. After some persecution, I have stopped singing praises to God, my Deliverer, in public. I thought that I was an overcomer, while only taking baby steps walking in this trial. It is time to get up, dust myself off, and get back on the horse, so to speak. When we stay in tune to God, He will give us the song of grace. Keep spreading happiness.

LET IT GROW

The Philistines oppressed David, yet he was like a captive dove in a strange land surrounded by fear and faith. David pleas for God's mercy, for his enemies are about to swallow him up, hounding him, slandering him.

The mercy of God is what we may flee to and trust to, and in faith pray for, when we are surrounded on all sides with difficulties and dangers. (M. Henry)

Verses 3 and 4, in NLT, says, But when I am afraid, I will put my trust in You. I praise God for what He has promised, I trust in God, so why should I be afraid? What can mere mortals do to me?

God always keeps His promises, so what are we afraid of right now? Economic, medical issues, relationships?
Don't skip over this: David called God O Thou Most High.
Our God is above problems, enemies, difficulties, and poopy words.
Are we looking up to Him?

Everything will be ok-if not today, eventually.

LET IT GO

Sing praises to God.
Trust Him.
Don't be afraid.
No more murmurings and railings.

No comments:

Post a Comment