July 25, 2017
Ezra 9-Part 2
And now for a little space grace hath been showed from the LORD our God... Ezra 9:8
LET IT GLOW
The gold, silver, and articles brought from Babylon were accounted for and placed in the Temple. The returnees rested for 3 days, and after sin offerings and burnt offerings were made in the Temple to God. Then they delivered the king's decrees. After all of this, Ezra was told how the people, the priests, and the Levites had not separated themselves from the people of the land, intermarrying with them.
When Ezra heard this, great sorrow and remorse came upon him, resulting in Ezra tearing his shirt and cloak, as well as pulling his hair out. Then Ezra fell to his knees and spreading his hands before the LORD his God.
Ezra began to pray, confessing Israel's sins:
- I am too ashamed and blush to lift up my face to Thee, my God.
- Our sins are piled higher than our heads.
- Our guilt has reached to the heavens.
- From the days of our ancestors until now, we have been steep in sin.
- That is why we and our kings and our priests have been at the mercy of the pagan kings of the land.
- We have been killed, captured, robbed, and disgraced, just as we are today.
LET IT GROW
What had God done for His remnant?
- But now we have been given a brief moment of grace, a little space grace, for the LORD our God has allowed a few of us to survive as a remnant.
- He has given us security in this holy place.
- Our God has brightened our eyes and granted us some relief from our slavery.
- For we were slaves, but in His unfailing love our God dis not abandon us in our slavery.
- He caused the kings of Persia to give us extended mercy, to give us a reviving, to set up the house of our God, to repair its ruins, and to give us a wall in Jerusalem and Judah.
What is space grace?
God permitted His people to return to their land, and off they go again, following the heathen-doing the very thing that had sent them into captivity in the first place. (J. Vernon McGee)
It was idolatry that was their sin. God requires us to put him first, not worship or serve other things. We are to love Him most.
Do you know people who are in space grace? Do we know believers who were saved by the blood of Jesus Christ, yet they returned to their sinful lifestyle and forsaking the biblical principles for the Christian life? Let us pray for their return.
Ezra's prayer has not ended yet, so return tomorrow as we discuss the remainder.
LET IT GO
Thank God for His grace!
Repent of my sins.
Love God more than anything else.