Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Prepare to Pass Over

O. T. #439  "Prepare to Pass Over"
January 14, 2015
Joshua 1-Part 4
Remember the word which Moses the servant of the LORD commanded you, saying, The LORD your God hath given you rest, and hath given you this land.  Joshua 1:13

LET IT GLOW

I have shared before that we have moved more times than I can count on my fingers and toes. With my husband being in the pastorate thirty-fives years, it was a common activity. I always had to prepare for moving day. That meant sorting through papers, clothes, junk, keep sakes, and memories. You know how things accumulate when you stay two or threes years in one house. Well, there is one advantage of moving-getting rid of unneeded stuff.
It's time to prepare to follow Jesus. My heart, soul, and mind need to be ready for my God-given assignment. That means I have to throw away some things-bad attitudes, unforgiveness, regrets.

It was time for Israel to get ready to move, too.
Reading the key, Israel had the assurance that LORD their God would give them rest in their Promised Land. What news! This people had been moving around all their lives. They had no land to call their own and place where they could settle down-until this time.

Rest, in Hebrew, means dwell, stay, place, remain. (Strong's Concordance)

Are we resting as we are doing God's will? Are we staying in the center of His will? Are we remaining there, even when it gets difficult?

In Matthew 11:28, Jesus said, Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
We find that in the Greek, as in this verse, rest means remain, refresh, (give, take) rest.

Are you needing rest and refreshment in the Lord? Who isn't?


LET IT GROW

The second generation of Israel had received the commands of the Lord God through Moses. Their leader was gone. Now a new leader, Joshua, was ready to take his place. What does Joshua call for? He calls for the officers of the people (scribes) to command the people to prepare their victuals, for within three days ye shall pass over Jordan. 

So I looked up the meaning of some words in Strong's Concordance:
prepare means stand, make ready, set up;
victuals means food, meat, provision.

Matthew Henry's Commentary explains:
This public notice was probably not given til after the spies returned from Jericho. The people were called to repent of their sins, make peace with God, resolve to live a new life, that they might be ready to receive this great favor (Ex. 14:10,11).

Keep in mind that the only two original spies of the 12 which Moses sent to spy out Canaan that were living was Joshua and Calab. These two had experienced the 40 years in the Wilderness due to Israel's rebellion and disbelief in God's ability to conquer their enemies. They had even walked through the Red Sea on dry ground when God parted it. They knew and experienced what their God could do. They believed that God could do it again. The people needed to be prepared for such a challenge.

Are we prepared for such an adventure with our God?
Are we ready to pass over our Jordan-what looks impossible with us, but possible with God?
Nothing is too difficult with God, nor is anything impossible with Him.

Better yet, friend, are you prepared to pass over into eternity? If you know Jesus as your Savior, you will get to rest in your Promised Land of heaven.
Are you family members and friends ready?

LET IT GO

Leave my doubt, baggage, and bitterness behind in my wilderness.

Prepare my heart to pass over my Jordan.

Be willing to go wherever He sends me.

Be willing to do whatever He calls me to do.

Love God with all my heart.

Deny myself, take up my cross, and follow Jesus.

*Please remember Gaylene and myself as we have surgery this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment