Thursday, December 18, 2014

Thankful for My Life

O. T. #422  "Thankful for My Life"
December 18, 2014
Deuteronomy 26
And it shall be, when thou art come in unto the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance, and possesses it, and dwellest therein:  (Deuteronomy 26:1)

LET IT GLOW

It's time for me to share what all my Lord God has done for me in the last month. I started having pain in my lower belly, which was sporadic, but intense. I was not able to get into see my family doctor, but saw two different nurse practitioners.They gave me medications, which did not eliminate the pain. Finally, my doctor prescribes Predisone, a steroid. When it helped, but not completely, he gave me double the dosage. I was only able to sleep 3 hours a night and it kept my heart pounding fast constantly, my blood pressure was up, my brain was wired. How was I to rest with all that going on? I didn't for two weeks. All that time, I assumed the problem was a flare up of my Crohn's disease. He got a colonoscopy scheduled right away with my gastroenterologist. That test turned out clear, no inflammation. Well, I still was having pain.

I went home after the test, drank juices and water, and rested. Finally, I insisted that my husband take me to the hospital for an IV, for I knew I was dehydrated and could not replenish my fluids on my own. He did so, and as they pumped those needed fluids into me, they discovered my potassium and sodium were almost depleted. This was due my clean out for the test and I threw up also. I didn't realize how seriously ill I had become until the doctor explained that sodium is needed to keep my heart beating.

So they talked my doctor and he told them to send me over to his hospital, so he could treat me there.  That's what they did, so I had my first ambulance ride. (The EMT was a neighbor of ours, which we didn't know before this time.) I spent the night in the hospital, gaining strength back.
When my doctor came to visit that next morning, I asked him to check me for a hernia and he confirmed that was what was causing my pain. I am so excited and looking forward to having hernia surgery soon. I am grateful that I did not need to have part of my colon cut out. (As of right now, I am waiting for the surgeon's conference and schedule. I would so much like to have it before December ends, since we have met the deductible of our insurance.)

I thank my God for sustaining me through this trying time. He is in control and I yield to His timing. Not only do I celebrate my 13 years of my extended life (almost died after surgery), but I am celebrating my third breath of life, God's sustaining me.
Thank you, friends, for your prayers and patience during this time.
Shall we see what this chapter holds?

We are finishing up the stipulations for life in the New Land of the Israelites. They were included in chapters 12-16. We read of the instructions concerning:
  • the life of worship (12:1-16:17)
  • leadership (16:18-18:22)
  • societal order (19:1-23:14)
  • miscellaneous laws (23:15-25:19)
  • the firstfruits and tithes in the land (26:1-15)
  • affirmation of obedience (26:16-19). (MacArthur)
Moses commanded the people to keep two rituals when they had conquered the Promised Land and began enjoying its produce. these two rituals were the initial firstfruits offering and the first third year special tithe. These special offering were given in order to celebrate Israel's transition from a nomadic existence to a settled agrarian community, made possible by the Lord's blessing. (MacArthur)


Moses commands the people to bring the first fruits of the ground and present them in the Lord at the place of worship as a symbol that they had finally conquered the land. The first fruits were offered yearly on the day after Passover (Lev. 23:10-11).  (Falwell)

The Festival of Firstfruits was a reminder to the people of all God had provided for them. When they arrived in the Promised Land, the people were to recite a confession of faith that would retell the story of their small beginnings in Egypt, their growth into a might nation, and their journey to claim and conquer the land given them by God. (Life Application Study Bible)

Are we praising God for His blessings and gifts that He has bestowed upon us-salvation, family, friends, provisions?
It is a time of praise and rejoicing because of God's goodness and mercy extended to former generations and evidence of divine sustaining grace at that time.

LET IT GROW

The tithe was collected every third year of Israel's existence in the land of Canaan. Apparently, this tithe was not taken to the central sanctuary, but distributed locally to Levites, immigrants,widows, and orphans. (MacArthur)

Israel existed because of God's grace and indebted to Him for the gift of their land.
What about you? How has the Lord blessed you this year? Will you take time to share with us?

LET IT GO

Be thankful for all the gifts God has given.

Share the gift of salvation with others.

Be faithful in my tithing.



No comments:

Post a Comment