Monday, December 29, 2014

I'm Afraid

O. T. #429  "I'm Afraid"
December 30, 2014
Deuteronomy 31
Be strong and of good courage, fear not, or be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, He it is that doth go with thee; He will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. Deuteronomy 31:6

LET IT GLOW

Here I am, the day before I have a CAT scan. I have to have it so the surgeon sees what needs to be done to make me healthy again. I tell you, friends, I am a little afraid, maybe more than a little, that going without water, crackers for salt, and bananas for potassium for 10 hours. I'm scared it will dehydrate me again, put me back into the hospital, as it did after my colonoscopy. There, I admitted it. I need encouragement today. God has this lesson just for me. Isn't He always on time, meeting our needs? If you are in need today, as I am, read on and we will both find that encouragement we both need, right in this chapter.

Here we read of Moses' final charge. This chapter's content is different from the others in this book. Perhaps, Moses concluded his sermons and moved from the place he was addressing Israel. He had been preaching about the Law, then shifted to personal material involving Moses' retirement and death.

Did you know Moses was 120 years of age at this time? In spite of his age, Moses' eyes were still sharp and his mind was quick (34:7).  Yet, it was time for him to step down as Israel's leader, for the Lord had forbidden Moses to cross over Jordan and go into the land of Canaan (Num. 20:12).
Moses promises that God will:
  • have His presence going before Israel;
  • destroy the nations who were possessing the Promised Land;
  • help Israel to possess the land.
Anyone need to feel God's presence with you in your situation right now? Yes!
Do you have any enemies that need to be destroyed-fear, doubt, discouragement? Check!
Do you need God's help in your daily life so you can live joyful and the extravagant Christian life as you go through trying times? For sure!
Oooh, that is so me!


LET IT GROW

Our key verse exhorted Israel, and us, to be:
  • strong,
  • of a good courage,
  • fear not,
  • be not afraid of them,
  • for the LORD thy God goes with Israel,
  • He will not let Israel fail,
  • He will not forsake Israel.
The power of the victorious life is in God; and if a person allows God to work through him, he has the promise that He will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.  (Falwell)

Do we need strength to continue through our trials? Are we lacking in courage in troubled times?
Are we fearful of the future? Anyone afraid of what you face tomorrow? Read on for encouragement from God's Word.

So this word nerd looked up some words in this verse.
The Hebrew word for strong means to fasten upon; to seize; courage; encourage; be established; withstand. The same word is used four times in Joshua chapter 1; in 2 Chron. 11:32; Is. 35:4; Dan. 10:19.
Courage means to be alert; be courageous; steadfastly minded; establish, prevail.
Fail means to slaken; feeble; forsake; leave; let alone.
Forsake means loose; relinquish; permit; fail; leave (destitute). 

That's what I need to hear. I am going to fasten onto Jesus during my test (drinking 2 1/2 hours of chalky stuff.) I will keep my mind focused on Scripture and prayer. God will not leave me nor forsake me. He will help me withstand this.
He can do the same for you, too, friends.

LET IT GO

...of fear and doubt; trust Jesus.

Fasten onto Jesus when I'm scared.

Let Him establish my faith.

Remember, God will not leave me nor forsake me, leaving me alone to go through this by myself.

He has the power to see me through this. I will trust Him.

He is with me all the way. Give Him glory for His mighty works.







No comments:

Post a Comment