Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Forsake Who?

O. T. #376  "Forsake Who?
October 1, 2014
Deuteronomy 4-Part 2
(For the LORD thy God is a merciful God;) he will not forsake thee, neither destroy thee, nor forget the covenant of thy father's which he sware unto them.  Deuteronomy 4:31 

LET IT GLOW

It does not matter where I am, the Lord is with me. He will never leave me nor forsake me. It is I who does the leaving and forsaking. Mostly, it is unintentionally done. I tend to get busy with this and that. My schedule can get so filled with projects and activities that I leave the Word, leave a continuous prayerful attitude, turn to other things. My conversations can turn my mind to problems, situations, people in trouble. Duties at work can consume me and cause me to worry. And then there is the cleaning, appointments, errands, computer time, family, friends, church. Soon I find myself carrying heavy loads and not taking them to the One who can unload them. I really have to guard my mind and heart. Forsake who? What was I talking about? Oh, those sidetracks. Idols?  How about you? Israel was warned by Moses about all this.

How does Moses describe God?
  • He is Israel's LORD God. The word LORD in Hebrew revers to Yhovah, Jehovah, meaning self-Existent or Eternal.
  • He is merciful. In Hebrew, merciful means compassionate; full of compassion.
  • He will not forsake Israel. The word forsake means consume, leave, let alone.
  • God would not destroy them. Destroy means decay, perish, lose.
  • He would not forget Israel. Forget refers to mislay; to be oblivious of; from want of memory or attention.
Here are some promises of God which Moses reminds Israel. The LORD God is merciful and compassionate. He promised to not forsake, leave or abandon Israel. He would not destroy nor cause His children to perish. Neither would the LORD forget His covenant by oath made with their forefathers.
Paul reminds the church what God said, in Hebrews 13:5c, I will never leave thee nor forsake thee.  

Do we thank God for His mercies, that He doesn't forsake nor forget us?

LET IT GROW

Moses summarizes the future of Israel:
  • they would turn to idols,
  • be cast out of the land and scattered,
  • and serve other gods in captivity.
It was in captivity that Israel would learn her lesson and abandon false gods once and for all.  (Wierssbe)

The future judgment of Israel, which culminated in the ten northern tribes being exiled to Assyria (2 Kings 17) and the two southern tribes being deported to Babylon (2 Kings 24, 25). Although the Jews returned in the days of Ezra and Nehemiah, they never regained their autonomy or dominance. Thus, the days of promised restoration and return look forward to Messiah's return to set up the millennial kingdom.  (MacArthur)

Verse 29 states: but if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.

Moses prophetically lays the foundation for national repentance; one day all Israel will be saved (Rom. 11:25-27). The condition for future restoration is with all thy heart. Paul also calls the Jews to turn their hearts to God (2 Cor. 3:15-16). (Falwell)

Do we have any idols that we spend our spare time with, caring for, serving? Have they consumed our time and thoughts that it has resulted in our scattering from the church, leaving worship out of our schedule? What has captured our heart?
So many things can become an idol to us-job, business, car, house, modern technology, sports, hobbies.

Jesus said in Matthew 7:7, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

Are we seeking the Lord's will for our life? Do we seek Him in the mornings? Is it with all our heart that we seek Him?

I feel a burden to pray for our nation's repentance, safety, standing against the evil ones in the world. Pray for our national leaders and military leaders and those of Israel, too.  Will you join me?


LET IT GO

Evaluate what I spend my time doing, thinking, and serving. Do I have any idols in my life?

Repent and turn to Jesus.

Seek the Lord in all matters; seek Him with all my heart and all my soul.

Thank You Lord for Your mercies to me.

Keep remembering that God will not leave me nor forsake me.

Pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment