Wednesday, October 8, 2014

A Gratitude Attitude?

O. T. #381  "A Gratitude Attitude?"
October 8, 2014
Deuteronomy 5-Part 2
O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear Me, and keep all My commandments always that it be well with them, and with their children for ever!  Deuteronomy 5:29


LET IT GLOW

What a pretty car. Just look at that beautiful, huge house. How many times have I said those words? Where's my gratitude attitude? It went out the window when a new, nice car passed by as I drive my old one. Or as I passed by "that" house. I know I am not supposed to think all that. But I keep doing it, over and over again. Maybe it wasn't a red, juicy apple that tempted Eve into sinning. Maybe it was a luscious peach. Ok. Did the Israelites need to hear this, also?

Who would not want a way for it to be well with them and their children forever? I don't think the nature of folks has changed that much down through the years. Who doesn't want the good life, the blessings, the peace from God? Do you suppose that Israel was no different? How would they receive it? Find out in this chapter.

Moses reminded Israel of the commandments God gave them (Exodus 20). Jesus summarized the ten into two- love God and love your neighbor. I am sure that such events as hearing the voice of God, seeing Him lead their nation by fire and a cloud were not easily forgotten by these young adults.

The Israelites were told that  they may live and prosper and prolong their days in the land that they will possess. (verse 33b) How could this be? The stipulation was their obedience. It was a matter of the heart. Fear God and keep His commandments always. (verse 29)

There we have the secret to a long and prosperous life-fear God and obey Him. That's not much. Yet how easy is it to do day in and day out? (Fear means reverence.) How often do we fail in that department?

LET IT GROW

God tells Moses to teach His commandments, statutes, and judgments. He knows the heart of Israel. God yearns for them to obey Him. Can you hear it in His voice when in the beginning of verse 29 the LORD said, O that there were such a heart in them...
Being God, He knew Israel would forsake Him many times to come and turn to idol worship, forsaking His commands. He wanted so badly their hearts to love Him, don't you think?

Are we any different? We want people to like us, even love us. Often we go to extremes for it. How may things have been bought for children in an attempt of this? Parents trying to outdo each other after divorce. In the long run, they are only hurting the child by spoiling them.

What were the Israelites to do after they heard and learned the command, statutes, and judgments?
  1. Do them. (verse 31)
  2. Observe them. (verse 32a)
  3. Do not turn aside to the right hand or to the left. (verse 32b)
  4. Walk in all the ways God commanded them. (verse 33)
Simple. Do #1, #2, #3, and #4. Got it. Easy words, yet, hard to apply?
We can love God, worship Him on Sundays, reverence His name, honor our parents. Uh huh.
Now when it comes to not coveting my neighbor's house, car, job, well that is another story. That's hard.
I have to work on being grateful for what I have, and do it daily. Maybe more than once a day. Maybe when those nice cars pass me in my 10 year old car on the highway. Maybe when I pass by these fancy houses. Yep, yep, yep, I have to watch my attitude.

Actually, I am glad that I don't have a car payment. (Saw an ad for a $800 a month car payment last night.) No way! Mine is bought and paid for, thank the Lord! It frees up mission trip money. As for that fancy house, I have problems keeping my little house clean the way is it. (under 1,000 sq.ft.) I sure don't have time to clean a large one. Come to think of it, I prefer my simple, country, small house, soon to be 100 years old. Thank You Jesus for all Your blessings on me. Help me keep my perspective.

Ok, so I need to work on my doin's and goin's and thinkin's. (Sorry, that wasn't proper English.)
Yes, Sir. Right away, Sir. Today Sir? OOOOOH !!!

Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.  Colossians 3:2


LET IT GO

Change those attitudes.

Give my things and heart to Jesus wherever and however He wants me to live. Today.

Have a grateful heart and an obedient heart.




No comments:

Post a Comment