Thursday, April 4, 2024

What is Going on Behind the Scenes?

 N.T.#278 "What is Going on Behind the Scenes?"

 April 4, 3034

Matthew 26-Part 2

LET IT GLOW 

What happened two days before the feast of the Passover? 

Jesus told His disciples, the Son of Man is betrayed to be curcified. (verse 2)

Betrayed means delivered up; to surrender.

Crucified means to extinguish (subdue); passion.

This was the seventh time Jesus forewarned His disciples. (16:21; 17:12, 22-23; 20:18-19, 22-23; 21:38-39) Did it sink in at the time? Did the disciples finally understand what was going to happen to Jesus and why He was going to experience this? Or did Jesus' followers finally see why Jesus would die on the cross? Why would the Son of God do this?

I lay down My life so that I may take it again. No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I receive from My Father. (John 10:17-18)

Jesus was willing to lay down His life, shed His blood, as our sacrifice for our sins. Such love! He who knew no sin became our sin so we might become His righteousness. Have you asked Jesus to forgive your sins and become your Savior? He is only a prayer away.

LET IT GROW

Suddenly in verses 3-5, Matthew changes his scenery and drops in at the high priest's house, Caiaphas. What is going on there?

  • The chief priests, scribes, and elders of the people are assembled there. (verse 3)
  • They were consulting together for one purpose-to take Jesus by subtilty and kill Him. (Subtilty means a trick; deceit; craft.)
  • A conspiracy was in motion led by Caiaphas. He was behind the attempts to hinder or trap Jesus, question His integrity, and weaken Jesus' influence.
  • These religious elites were bent on protecting their power and promoting their personal interests.
  • Large crowds were in Jerusalem for the Passover, so any arrest would result in a riot. (verse 5)
  • Also, they did not know where Jesus and His disciples went when they retired for the evening. (John 18:1-2)
  • So the plan was to lay low while the Jews departed Jerusalem. Then when the time was right, Jesus and maybe some of His companions would simply disappear. (Swindoll)
Actually, it wa all going as planned-God the Father and Jesus the Son. I figure the devil considered he was working behind the scenes, stirring up hate. I wish we could have been studying this before Easter, yet it makes it clear for us, the Great I AM is in control. Jesus knew He would rise from death when He was living His final week on earth.

LET IT GO

Who am I that the King of the world would give one single thought of my broken heart?

Come as you are.

Jesus, You paid the price, gave Your life, with me on Your mind.

Precious Redeemer and Savior, we praise You.


No comments:

Post a Comment