Monday, August 12, 2019

Animals of Examples

O. T. #1502  "Animals of Examples"
August 12, 2019
Proverbs 30-Part 4

LET IT GLOW

I recall while we visited an Asian country, we stayed in a two story house at a camp. Well, I had to get up during the night for my nightly visit as nature called. When I turned on the light, that little room had many creatures, called geckos, lizards, on the walls and ceiling. Need I say that I quickly took care of business and got out of there. They didn't bother me, but they were foreign to me and I didn't trust them eyeing me. I hoped that none made their way into my bed since I forgot to close the bedroom door behind me. (So I bought a wooden Gecko at an outdoor shopping center, just as a reminder of my experience.)

So far, we have read about wisdom's instructions on wonderful things (v.18-20) and intolerable things (v.21-23). Today, our focus in on  wisdom's instruction on little things and comely things.

What can we learn from the attributes of these four creatures? (It's not that they have a brain that solves problems, but that God has programed them to do such thing, in my opinion.)
  1. Ants-The little bitty ants prepare their food for the coming winter, storing it up. They show us to prepare for the future with material things. (Proverbs 6:6-8)
  2. Conies are badgers as big as rabbits. They hide in the cleft of the rock for security and a place of safety. Christ is the Rock that is higher than I. (Ps. 61:2)
  3.  Locusts have no king as a leader, yet they devour vegetation while in swarms. They move methodically in such a way, together, that it seems they have instructions and strict discipline as soldiers.
  4. Lizards have fan-like feet with sticky substance which aid them to hold onto a marble wall or a ceiling by faith. (I wonder if they have enjoy hanging around wherever, staying away from trouble.)
[Resources: Liberty Bible Commentary, Proverbs by J. Vernon McGee]

Christ is our future in the hereafter, our security in the now, our disciplined leader and King who leads us in His will, and the joy in our life as we live by faith.
Here's the thing, are we lacking any of these, not allowing Jesus to be that for us?
Is He our refuge and strength, our faithful leader, the One in which our security comes, and the joy of our life?
Do we need to be more like the ant, badger, locus, or lizard? Shall we ask Jesus to show us which one we need to be more alike?

LET IT GROW

The last section of these things wisdom uses to instruct us is on comely things (verses 29-31). Three strong animals illustrate wisdom for us:
  1. The lion is the strongest of animals, who executes boldness as he fights other males for dominance or brings down an animal for food.
  2. The greyhound is a dog which has strong loins for running.
  3. The goat which is a mountain goat is a climber who lives on rocky terrain of mountains. They are safe there.
  4. The king is an example for us, for he marches on with vigorous resolve, trampling his conquered foes. (Falwell)
What can we learn from these three animals?
  • Christians should boldly contend for their faith, with the Lord Jesus being our strength.
  • Believers are to run the race set before them with patience as the greyhound.
  • Jesus is our high retreat for safety against the enemies of this world as the goat finds safety in the mountain.
  • King Jesus will eventually conquer the devil and his demons. Until then, we must allow Him to be our conqueror of our problems. 
We must no longer be a slave to fear, for we are a child of God, as the song goes.

LET IT GO

Teach me to be more bold to speak for the Word, strong in faith, safe in You, and marching on to victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment