Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Are You a Weary Traveler?

 N.T.#126 "Are You a Weary Traveler?"

August 9, 2023

Matthew 11-Part 9

Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light. ((verses 28-30)

LET IT GLOW

When we went to visit our daughter and her family, I made sure by backpack had wheels. (I have to carry a lot of medicines and other things with me.) Even that got heavy for me to pull through the long walk in the airport from one gate to another. My wonderful daughter in law saw my struggle and pulled it for me. (Another time my husband pulled it, too.) What a relief it was to only have to walk fast and not pulling that weight. Are you a weary traveler carrying about a heavy weight, friend? There is hope. Read on.

Are you broken, bruised, downtrodden, oppressed, failed, fallen, ashamed, rejected, brutalized, or bullied? Are you weary and heavy burdened? Are you fatigued by emotional exhaustion that comes from experiencing draining crises or heavy burdens? 

Here are some in-depth answers for us by Swindoll's Living Insights in Matthew:

  • Two invitations from Jesus involves coming, taking, and learning as His arms are open wide. We come by believing, trusting, and receiving Him by grace alone through faith alone. Take Jesus' yoke upon us and in that way to learn from Him. The yoke enters into submission to Him.
  • A benefit from learning from Jesus is facing the truth about ourselves. With legalism in Jesus' day, the people were overloaded by striving to keep the laws of the Pharisees and scribes. They were under obligations, guilt, shame, and requirements which left them exhausted.
  • Notice that Jesus He is gentle and humble in heart. (verse 29) He is tender and loving, patient and kind, not harsh or touchy. He put the needs of others before His own needs.
  •  Jesus wants to give us rest for our souls. (verses 28-29)  It means to cause someone to gain relief from toil; refreshment and renewal; ceasing from wearisome activity.

 Jesus' invitation comes to us like a gasp of air to a drowning person. He is what we need in this time of life. He listens to our troubles, sees our needs, and helps us carry our load. When we have done all we can, give it up to our Savior. That is how we find rest and peace, friend. Lay it at the feet of Jesus and surrender it to Him to take care of for us.

LET IT GROW

Jeremiah 6:16 says, Thus says the LORD, Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is, and walk in it; and you will find rest for your souls. 

Here is an image of travelers who are lost, stopping to inquire about the right way they once knew before they wandered so far away from it. (John MacArthur)

The only way for us to make it through this situation is to sit at the feet of the Savior and hear His Word. Take time to pray and study His word is good advice we can give to those afflicted. Rest in the love of God and Jesus Christ and He will satisfy your longing and need for peace. Then we can find the answers we seek.

I don't know about you, dear one, but I needed these words this week. I get weary carrying around the afflictions of my body and meeting the needs of others. However, our problems won't disappear, but Jesus wants to help carry them for us. Life with Jesus is so much easier than doing life on our own. I need to be reminded of that.

LET IT GO

Thank You Jesus that You carry our burdens when we turn them over to You.

What a wonderful Savior is Jesus my Lord!

You give us peace like a river flowing from Your throne.

No comments:

Post a Comment