Friday, March 6, 2015

A Monstrosity

O. T. #474  "A Monstrosity"
March 6, 2105
Joshua 15
She replied, "Do me a special favor. Since you have given me land in Negev, give me also springs of water." So Caleb gave her the upper and lower springs.  Joshua 15:19 NIV

LET IT GLOW

This week I had to deliver my bottle of sample so it could be sent off for testing from my Urologist's office. If it were not done on Wednesday, then I would have to repeat it again. On the trip over to the office, it started sleeting. I expected it since the weatherman predicted sleet and snow for the day. So I left by 9 am hoping to get there and home without any problems. Not happening for me.

After leaving that office, I went to change my bone density test and doctor appointments due to the weather. After the waiting and running to both offices, I achieved my purpose and headed out the door. By that time, the sleet was more than slushy by this time. How was I to get to the car parked up a hill? Oh, I remembered that I parked there so I could come out safely and had to ride the elevator. So that is what I did, went back inside, rode the elevator up to the first floor, walked slowly out to my car and took off. Driving only 30-35 mph and praying all the way home on icy roads, I made it home after taking 35 minutes longer than usual, up and down hills. Praise the Lord for His going before me and never forsaking me! I have stayed home ever since. (Yesterday, the sun melted the snow and the roads are fine.) God is so good!

Well, we left Caleb with a mountain for an inheritance yesterday.
So I looked up in Webster's Dictionary the definition of mountain, which is a land mass that projects conspicuously above its surroundings and is higher than a hill; a vast number or quantity.

I think you will agree with me when I use these words to describe this man who had a mountain of faith as:
a mountaineer(a native or inhabitant of a mountainous region), a foreign mountain man (an American frontiersman at home in the wilderness), one who lived on a spiritual mountain top (the summit of a  mountain), as well as a mountainy ( of, relating to, or living in mountains).

Are you still with me? Hang on, I'm going somewhere with this. Caleb kept his vision on his mountain and the LORD. His vitality was mountainous for an 85 year old. His victory resulted from a
monstrosity  (the quality or state of being monstrous); monstrous is an adjective meaning
deviating greatly from the natural form or character; very great. Yes, Caleb's faith was monstrous, great, huge, in comparison with those around him. I call it extravagant faith. His strength was that of a mountaineer and a mountain man. Quite a guy, wouldn't you agree?

How would they describe us, our faith, our talk, our life? Is it out of the ordinary-extraordinary?

LET IT GROW

We just thought we were through reading about Caleb-not. He is inserted in the middle of Judah's inheritance. so jump on down to verses 13-19 with me and see what happened a little later on:
  • Caleb's mountain (Hebron) was a portion of Judah's inheritance-Kiriath Arba. Arba was the forefather of Anak. From Hebron Caleb drove out the three Anakites-Sheshai, Ahiman and Talmai-descendants of Anak. From there he marched against the people living in Debir (formerly called Kiriath Shepher).
  • Caleb offered his daughter Acsah in marriage to the man who attachs and captures Kiriath Sepher.
  • Caleb's nephew, Othniel, a brave and capable warrior (Judges 3:9) did so and married Acsah.
  • Caleb gave her the land of Negev, a south land, barren of water.
  • Acsah asked her father Caleb for a further blessing, which was more than a dowry, springs of water, to nourish the field.
  • Caleb gave her the upper springs, and lower springs. (verse 19)
The Christian should joyfully continue to ask the Father for greater blessings, especially for the "spiritual springs" that water the fruitful life. The field that God gives us will never produce fruit apart from the springs of water. (Wiersbe)

Her father responded by giving the couple several springs at various levels in Debir.  Your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask Him  (Matt. 6:8).  (Falwell)

Who was Othniel? He was the first judge after Joshua's death, and her reformed Israel by chasing away an enemy army and restoring peace to the land. (D. Jeremiah)

Sounds like Acsah was surrounded by mountainous men, of great character and faith in God (her father Caleb and husband Othniel).

Are we faithful with what God has given us to honor Him?
Is it a monstrosity?
Do we ask Him by faith and He has given to us?

Yes, I consider myself a mountaineer, a mountain woman, and a mountainy. Most of all, I want to be known for a mountainous faith, deviating from the normal, and very great. It continues to develop it, though, since I haven't reached the top yet.

LET IT GO

Let God grow my faith as big as a mountain, even if it requires going through the valleys of hard times.

Stay on the spiritual mountain top with Jesus.








No comments:

Post a Comment