Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Rising Above

O. T. #452  "Rising Above"
February 4, 2015
Joshua 4-Part 4
That all the people of the earth might know that hand of the LORD, that it is might: that ye might fear the LORD your God for ever.  Joshua 4:24

LET IT GLOW

Are you knee deep in troubled waters? Perhaps they are waist high. Maybe you're up to your neck in whatever. Feel like you're about to drown? Jesus is there with you as He was with Israel in the midst of the Jordan River, heaped over their heads.

Oh, yes, that's me. I hear You Lord. In this season of my life, it is health issues that keep knocking me down. However, I am learning to take them one at a time, trusting the mighty hand of my God. After all, isn't it for our good and His glory that they come? So I figure I have a choice-stay there or rise above them. Will I come up out of my Jordan? Will Israel?

And the people came up out of Jordan. Can you imagine the excitement of crossing clear over Jordan, walking on a dry riverbed, passing by the Ark of the Covenant, and up the bank on the other side? It was new territory. A new adventure lay before them-new land, new nation, new attitudes, new food. Once they crossed by faith into the Promised Land, Israel left their chains of slavery, for they were free. They were God's chosen people, a chosen nation.

they came up out of the Jordan. Isn't that what baptism pictures? Going down into the water shows our old self, buried with Christ, risen a new person, after salvation has come to our heart.

Young's Concordance described the Jordan River: Its whole length of the Jordan is only 120 miles in a direct line, but in its windings, it is above 240 miles. It enters the Sea of Galilee, which is 14 miles long and 7 miles broad.

Jesus was there in the midst of the river while the people crossed. The Ark represents God's presence. I wonder if Jesus was sitting upon the Mercy Seat as the priests held it up? Was He looking into the eyes of every person as they passed by Him, every boy and girl, teenager, young and old adult? Was He holding out His hand of mercy for them to take, yet unseen by them?

Jesus must have favored the Jordan River and region. Why do I say that?
  1. Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist there. (John 3)
  2. Jesus baptized believers there. Disciples of John the Baptist came and told him what was happening. (John 3)
  3. Jesus' ministry was done in that region of the world. Studying the cities and towns where He performed miracles teaches that. 
By the way, Lot chose the fertile land east of the river, and Abraham the west. (Gen. 13:11-12)
Jacob had been living there before making amends with brother Esau.

Will we come up out of our river of troubles with Jesus? Will we wade through them, not allowing them to overcome us, or even drown us? Jesus is there with us, holding out His mighty hand. Look in verse 24.

LET IT GROW

Remember those 12 stones the priests carried to Gilgal, the first campsite of Israel? Those stones were not thrown on a rock pile. I think they were reverently placed there as a memorial of what the mighty hand of God had done, so we fear the LORD our God forever. It was not just Israel, but for all the peoples of the world then and to come as well. Even Rahab believed in this God and awaited Israel's victory over her city of Jericho.

Is your God the God of heaven and earth? The Creator of all?
Are you trusting in the MIGHTY HAND OF GOD?

Are there some stones you need to lay down at the cross? Stones like fear, doubt, relationships, health issues, financial problems, are real to us. We have to take them off our shoulders and lay them down. Jesus is waiting.

LET IT GO

Walk through my Jordan, keeping my eyes on Jesus, not my troubles.

Cross over my Jordan today by faith in Jesus, taking the might hand of God.

Lay down my burdensome stones. Let Jesus take them and set me free.

Share with others what He has done for me, He can do for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment